A interesting thing about google apps script server

ChiefChippy2

Sep 15, 2019, 4:25:43 PM9/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Hello everyone,
I was messing around with google apps script when I found out that google apps script web app has a very irregular response time. Sometimes it can go up to 1000 milliseconds and sometimes... 400 milliseconds only.
I checked the Execution transcript and i saw something funny ... and weird.
Some logs show CEST time
Some show PDT time
Some show HKT time
(Over like 10 or 20 fetches)

Keep in mind that I did the test over a stable internet connection, in the same place, and the web app execution url returns nothing when fetched. The server takes 2 ms to 5 ms to respond.

So I am wondering : why does the location of the server that handles my web request vary almost every time? And is there a way to either detect it or even force it to use a server in a specific location?
(And also why is the response time this high?)

Dimu Designs

Sep 15, 2019, 6:40:22 PM9/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I recall watching a Google Next talk about GAS and the speaker claimed that there are billions of scripts being executed daily. I assume that google leverages Load Balancing where network traffic (which includes Web App requests) is distributed among multiple back-end servers, hence the reason why the location of servers change.

Jose Pe Linares

Sep 16, 2019, 6:43:55 PM9/16/19
to Google Apps Script Community
What about run a Google cloud SQL?, It's a expensive service, and its performance depends on where the script run. Gas is not a good option for a SQL service I think.