Test-Deployments Not Working for Editor Add-Ons

Trace Bowen

Jul 26, 2024, 6:00:19 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 26
to Google Apps Script Community
Hello community,

I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to use the test deployments feature for apps script projects. Recently I have been developing an add-on via a script that was bound to a spreadsheet (bound script). I now want to share and test the add-on, which means I should create a standalone apps script project and include my code as a part of that project.

I have done exactly that, but found that the test deployments for editor add-ons are not working. I have set up test deployments to deploy to a certain spreadsheet, and configured the permissions of the deployment to be both installed and enabled. Additionally in my code, it uses the onInstall(e) method as well as a call to the onOpen(e) function as referenced in documentation. The onOpen routine creates a menu from which to access my UI, and it works perfectly in the bound script but will never show up in these test deployments.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Nothing I have tried has allowed for a test deployment of the bound script to successfully populate the menu and I am stuck / need some help. I have done a ton of research and I am not sure what the issue is with the test deployments not showing anything in my custom menu. I believe this might be related to issue 250812440 on google's issue tracker? But I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution? Thanks.