Google Sheet Apps Script Project - Protected Sheet Issues

Sharan Subramanyam

May 6, 2024, 3:25:49 AMMay 6
to Google Apps Script Community
Hello everyone!

I am a new initiate into the apps script world and been loving the expandable nature of the day to day tools we use!

I made a app script project to allow sales person from a region to record transactions through apps script modal forms into google sheets. But I wanted to retain edit access on the data entered to ensure sanctity and hence the destination sheet was protected with access only to me. This however, is not allowing the user form data to get inserted into this sheet. I tried installable triggers and still running into problems!

Any ideas on how I can work this out?

thank you!

George Ghanem

May 6, 2024, 1:27:34 PMMay 6
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Rather than using modal ui, why not switch to using Google forms instead for entry? Other option is to define a webapp to do the form entry separate from the spreadsheet. This is not as flexible but will allow you to exert control over the spreadsheet access.

Sharan Subramanyam

May 7, 2024, 1:39:34 AMMay 7
to Google Apps Script Community
Hello George! thank you for the response! I will look into that as well, however since I am at the final stages of my project I came up with a workaround wherein the sheet has the owner as well as the user as editors however, the edit ranges are dynamically separated between the two with user able to only edit the last row + 1 and not the previous rows and the owner being able to edit the previous rows. Of course both have edit access on the whole sheet but specifically defining the ranges which has data as restricted to the owner has worked out well.