Is it possible to create text box clones in Slides using GAS?

Matt Sabourin

Aug 25, 2020, 5:50:25 PM8/25/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi there,

I'm trying to create a lesson on how to develop a creative brief for marketing work. There are roughly 10-12 parts of each brief and I would like to make each part its own slide. So, for example, slide one might be "Overview" and there would be a text box where students could type 1-2 sentences. Then, slide 2 would be Objective and students could do the same. They go through this process for 10 more slides or so and the very last slide is a finished creative brief - written by them.

So, I would need a text box on slide one to be linked to one on slide 13, so when you type something in that particular box on slide one, it's "mirrored" on slide 13.

Thanks in advance.

Jean-Luc Vanhulst

Aug 25, 2020, 5:54:10 PM8/25/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Maybe more like using a Google Form to catch the submissions in a spreadsheet then generate a PDF or Google Doc for each submission?

matt...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2020, 6:08:11 PM8/25/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Thanks for the reply. I experimented with using Google Form and it doesn't quite work the way I need. Using Slides would be hugely beneficial for what I'm trying to achieve. I would love for the final output to be a one-pager slide that can be incorporated easily into other presentations.

I mostly just want to know if it's possible to do what I want so that I can hire a programmer. If it's not even possible, then I know I need to go another route.

Thanks.

Taki Guan

Aug 25, 2020, 8:34:24 PM8/25/20
to Google Apps Script Community
I think you can use getShapes() method to get the text box for specific page. You can set a trigger to execute the script to create a new page and insert the shape one by one.

Just could be a way.

matt...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2020, 9:41:18 PM8/27/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Thank you for the reply. I'm going to dig in and try to learn how to do this. So, you think it's possible then? That's kind of all I needed to know. I appreciate it.

Taki Guan

Aug 27, 2020, 9:43:58 PM8/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I think it's possible.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-script-community/9a73e1c0-45b0-4d0c-b949-34bb41ee1f13n%40googlegroups.com.

--

Regards
Taki

Darren D'Mello

Aug 29, 2020, 9:23:26 PM8/29/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
This can be done if you have a slide template and each time this can be compiled and replicated.

If you need my services, you can contact me https://www.digitalthoughts.science/contact

Also, there is a list of consultants in this forum whom you are also free to consult. I am one among them.

matt...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2020, 11:36:42 AM10/21/20
to Google Apps Script Community
So a bit of an update: a dev at work gave it a shot and was unable to get it to work – "I was hoping to use a type of “onEdit” or “onChange”, but Google doesn’t seem to support that. Again, I’ve tried searching custom pieces, but it looks like other devs haven’t been able to get that going either."

I asked him to try getshapes() but haven't heard back.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but are there any resources on these forums for finding a freelance dev to help out with this?

Thanks, everybody.

CBM Services

Oct 21, 2020, 1:45:41 PM10/21/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com