Collaborating in Script Editor

Clay Smith

Jun 30, 2019, 7:37:04 PM6/30/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I've just assumed it was possible to collaborate in the Script Editor like we do with Google Docs and Google Slides. However, I've found this may not be the case. can anyone else confirm?

Steve Webster

Jun 30, 2019, 8:03:05 PM6/30/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
If you mean real-time,  then you are correct. However, you do see the profile icon when someone else has opened that project.

Kind Regards,

Steve Webster
SW gApps LLC, President
Google Product Expert in: Google Apps Script, Drive, and Docs
Google Vendor (2012-2013) || Google Apps Developer Blog Guest Blogger
Add-ons: Text gBlaster and Remove Blank Rows

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 7:37 PM Clay Smith <cl...@claycodes.org> wrote:
I've just assumed it was possible to collaborate in the Script Editor like we do with Google Docs and Google Slides. However, I've found this may not be the case. can anyone else confirm?

aj.a...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2019, 8:36:30 PM6/30/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Multiple people can view an open apps script file at the same time,
but if one persons saves a change, the current instance of the file
that other viewers have open does not get refreshed. If one person
saves a change, they should immediately tell the others that they
saved a change, and to refresh their browser tab. Then you loose all
open tabs. It is very easy to overwrite the changes of someone else
if one person saves their changes. So, even if multiple people are
viewing, you should never have two people editing at the same time.
There is a Chrome extension that can be used to push/pull files to
GitHub/bitbucket.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-apps-script-github/lfjcgcmkmjjlieihflfhjopckgpelofo?hl=en

IAlex

Jul 9, 2019, 1:14:57 AM7/9/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I can't imagine when it may be needed. The interpreter requires a specific version of the code. You need a version control system, not co-editing.

Best,
IAlex