Adwords conversion tracking issue for add-ons. How to deal with it?

Ihor Stefurak

Jul 30, 2020, 8:46:26 AM7/30/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Does anyone of you use Adwords for the public add-on as a paid channel?

I have a Google Sheets Add-on with Adwords campaign and Google allows us to track installs with events 'START_INSTALL' and 'FINISH_INSTALL' automatically but Google Analytics doesn't record UTM_SOURCE, it's just 'direct traffic'. So I can't track which words convert.

I spent a month in conversation with Google. They said it's impossible to track URLs with ?utm_source=adwords in Google Analytics. Why? They don't know. Imagine having two products on your own platform that can be connected...

How did you hack the conversion tracking issue if you use Adwords?