Something Cool - Cloud Shell with Cloud Chrome

Jacob Edward

Mar 15, 2019, 1:53:46 PM3/15/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
As this group is brand new I'd like to share something cool for my first post... only just discovered this tutorial and just verified it can be used on the free Cloud Shell VM every google account comes with so... that's sorta awesome

https://cloud.google.com/solutions/chrome-desktop-remote-on-compute-engine

You don't even need the native remote desktop app, it's ALL in the cloud, finish the tutorial and then click on your new machine here: https://remotedesktop.google.com/access

Especially if you're like me and build Chrome Extensions (which rely heavily on GAS), which can now be truly device agnostic as people can just initialize their own VM with the extension and have it communicate with your normal stand alone website...  Unilateral integrations!

ANDY LOL

Mar 15, 2019, 2:51:41 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community

Why one should do it?
is it like have a server and an app inside a real server only is in a virtual space?

Jacob Edward

Mar 15, 2019, 3:07:29 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
So if you want to unilaterally integrate your logic with something like facebook without having to go through their API nonsense (compared to GAS), a browser extension is an option... I am told there are ways to emulate the browser with GAS but it's always seemed like madness every time I've tried so lol, yea...  I'm going to be scraping and re-rendering in my GAS app, browser extension will be in the cloud behind the scenes updating and auto checking feeds and whatever else...  facebook is just one option, you can theoretically augment the entire internet though I've had a few issues with automating forms...  this is what the environment looks like when I load it in the browser:

VM.PNG

ANDY LOL

Mar 16, 2019, 8:12:30 AM3/16/19
to Google Apps Script Community