Stand Alone Script getSheetByName is not a function

Greg Borchard

Jun 18, 2020, 3:00:07 AM6/18/20
to Google Apps Script Community

I have a standalone script that I eventually want to publish as an add-on.  I have a button in my sidebar that calls my test function.  The test function is in my server-side file.  When I test my script, I click Run > Test as Add-on in the IDE and I refer to Stackdriver logging for my errors.

I am experiencing difficulty with the SpreadsheetApp service in standalone scripts (I've used this numerous times in standalone scripts with no issues).

If I run this script:
function test() {
  const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet;
  const sht = ss.getSheetByName('Sheet1');
  const cell = sht.getRange('B6');

  cell.setValue = 1;
}

I get the error:
TypeError: ss.getSheetByName is not a function at test(Code:20:18)

and if I modify the script to be :
function test() {
  const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet.getSheetByName('Sheet1');
  const cell = ss.getRange('B6');

  cell.setValue = 1;
}

then I get the error:
TypeError: SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet.getSheetByName is not a function at test(Code:19:50)

What am I doing incorrectly?  Why am I getting the error "getSheetByName is not a function" when I'm not trying to run it as a function?

Martin Molloy

Jun 18, 2020, 3:04:45 AM6/18/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
you need to write it as

ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();

note the brackets at the end

Martin

CBM Services

Jun 18, 2020, 12:38:00 PM6/18/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Also not sure you should be using Const as the declaration of an object that you are changing.

Would suggest you use var in this case.

Jun 22, 2020, 7:01:04 AM6/22/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Regarding "const" / "let" / "var":

Using const is okay as long as you don't reassign the variable. It is not the same as a "constant" in other programming languages.

const obj = {value: 'value'};
obj.value = 'different value';   // okay
obj = {value: 'different value'};  // not okay, because it's reassigning the variable