AppSheet purchased by Google Cloud - News

120 views
Skip to first unread message

Alan Wells

unread,
Jan 16, 2020, 9:28:27 AM1/16/20
to Google Apps Script Community
AppSheet is for creating apps.
If you don't want to write any code, you can use AppSheet to create an app.
It's "no-code" development.
There are probably pros and cons to no-code development.  I saw one comment comparing no-code development to surgery with no surgeon.  I suppose if a robot got better at surgery than a person, I might trust the robot more.  But how do you know?
AppSheet isn't free.  The lowest plan is $5 a month.
Google Cloud has acquired AppSheet.  Do I care? At first I thought, "Not really, it's just interesting news."
I guess that I do care in the sense that I want to be valued as a programmer, and no-code development feels like programmers are being thrown away in favor of something else.  The driving force behind this is development costs.  Even if an independent programmer only charged $5 dollars an hour, in two hours the customer would have paid $10 dollars, which is twice as much money as the $5 a month AppSheet plan.
And as people have less and less "disposable income", they won't want to hire a programmer.  I suppose that old, obsolete programmers could get a piece of cardboard, and write on it, "Will Work for Food"

Steve Webster

unread,
Jan 16, 2020, 11:07:05 AM1/16/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Nice comments, Alan. Just a quick thought to share. Last year we created a basic CRM system using AppSheet. We supplemented it with some apps script where needed. We will demo Google AppSheet at our "G Suite Training & Automation" conference on FEB 20-21, 2020. Specifically, on FEB 21 for AppSheet demo. Learn more: GSuiteFlorida.com

Kind Regards,

Steve Webster
SW gApps LLC, President 
Google Product Expert in: Google Apps Script, Drive, and Docs 
Google Vendor (2012-2013) || Google Apps Developer Blog Guest Blogger 
Add-ons: Text gBlaster and Remove Blank Rows


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-c...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-script-community/078da405-3ff0-4b24-b5c5-c9199adfd700%40googlegroups.com.

Andrew Roberts

unread,
Jan 16, 2020, 11:19:03 AM1/16/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I'd noticed this purchase with interest too. Could be more work for us devs. I get a bit of work adding extra bells and whistles to the data entered via the AppSheet app UI.

Alan Wells

unread,
Jan 16, 2020, 11:42:37 AM1/16/20
to Google Apps Script Community
I think it will actually create more opportunities for employment.  As with Steve presenting training conferences, and Andrew adding some extras to the app.  What AppsSheet does, is increase the number of apps and code being created, as opposed to lots of business creating no apps at all.  It's kind of like, you need a lot more mechanics if everyone can afford a car.  If only the rich can afford a car, then there aren't going to be many car mechanic jobs.  So, I think that AppSheet is filling a need, which increases the number of apps.  Some of those apps will crash, and they'll need the equivalent of an auto body technician to repair the damage.  This is part of the evolution of the computing industry.


On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 11:19:03 AM UTC-5, andrew wrote:
I'd noticed this purchase with interest too. Could be more work for us devs. I get a bit of work adding extra bells and whistles to the data entered via the AppSheet app UI.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 16:07, Steve Webster <st...@swgapps.com> wrote:
Nice comments, Alan. Just a quick thought to share. Last year we created a basic CRM system using AppSheet. We supplemented it with some apps script where needed. We will demo Google AppSheet at our "G Suite Training & Automation" conference on FEB 20-21, 2020. Specifically, on FEB 21 for AppSheet demo. Learn more: GSuiteFlorida.com

Kind Regards,

Steve Webster
SW gApps LLC, President 
Google Product Expert in: Google Apps Script, Drive, and Docs 
Google Vendor (2012-2013) || Google Apps Developer Blog Guest Blogger 
Add-ons: Text gBlaster and Remove Blank Rows


On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:28 AM Alan Wells <aj.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
AppSheet is for creating apps.
If you don't want to write any code, you can use AppSheet to create an app.
It's "no-code" development.
There are probably pros and cons to no-code development.  I saw one comment comparing no-code development to surgery with no surgeon.  I suppose if a robot got better at surgery than a person, I might trust the robot more.  But how do you know?
AppSheet isn't free.  The lowest plan is $5 a month.
Google Cloud has acquired AppSheet.  Do I care? At first I thought, "Not really, it's just interesting news."
I guess that I do care in the sense that I want to be valued as a programmer, and no-code development feels like programmers are being thrown away in favor of something else.  The driving force behind this is development costs.  Even if an independent programmer only charged $5 dollars an hour, in two hours the customer would have paid $10 dollars, which is twice as much money as the $5 a month AppSheet plan.
And as people have less and less "disposable income", they won't want to hire a programmer.  I suppose that old, obsolete programmers could get a piece of cardboard, and write on it, "Will Work for Food"

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Alexandrina Garcia-Verdin

unread,
Jan 16, 2020, 6:34:22 PM1/16/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
+1 Alan. I would agree with this in my opinion.

Cheers
AGV




Alexandrina GV | G Suite Developer Advocate | a...@google.com | Sunnyvale, CA 



On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 8:42 AM Alan Wells <aj.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it will actually create more opportunities for employment.  As with Steve presenting training conferences, and Andrew adding some extras to the app.  What AppsSheet does, is increase the number of apps and code being created, as opposed to lots of business creating no apps at all.  It's kind of like, you need a lot more mechanics if everyone can afford a car.  If only the rich can afford a car, then there aren't going to be many car mechanic jobs.  So, I think that AppSheet is filling a need, which increases the number of apps.  Some of those apps will crash, and they'll need the equivalent of an auto body technician to repair the damage.  This is part of the evolution of the computing industry.

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 11:19:03 AM UTC-5, andrew wrote:
I'd noticed this purchase with interest too. Could be more work for us devs. I get a bit of work adding extra bells and whistles to the data entered via the AppSheet app UI.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 16:07, Steve Webster <st...@swgapps.com> wrote:
Nice comments, Alan. Just a quick thought to share. Last year we created a basic CRM system using AppSheet. We supplemented it with some apps script where needed. We will demo Google AppSheet at our "G Suite Training & Automation" conference on FEB 20-21, 2020. Specifically, on FEB 21 for AppSheet demo. Learn more: GSuiteFlorida.com

Kind Regards,

Steve Webster
SW gApps LLC, President 
Google Product Expert in: Google Apps Script, Drive, and Docs 
Google Vendor (2012-2013) || Google Apps Developer Blog Guest Blogger 
Add-ons: Text gBlaster and Remove Blank Rows


On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:28 AM Alan Wells <aj.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
AppSheet is for creating apps.
If you don't want to write any code, you can use AppSheet to create an app.
It's "no-code" development.
There are probably pros and cons to no-code development.  I saw one comment comparing no-code development to surgery with no surgeon.  I suppose if a robot got better at surgery than a person, I might trust the robot more.  But how do you know?
AppSheet isn't free.  The lowest plan is $5 a month.
Google Cloud has acquired AppSheet.  Do I care? At first I thought, "Not really, it's just interesting news."
I guess that I do care in the sense that I want to be valued as a programmer, and no-code development feels like programmers are being thrown away in favor of something else.  The driving force behind this is development costs.  Even if an independent programmer only charged $5 dollars an hour, in two hours the customer would have paid $10 dollars, which is twice as much money as the $5 a month AppSheet plan.
And as people have less and less "disposable income", they won't want to hire a programmer.  I suppose that old, obsolete programmers could get a piece of cardboard, and write on it, "Will Work for Food"

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-c...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-c...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-c...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-script-community/951e2590-56f0-4ba9-b5b7-c98e9beca01a%40googlegroups.com.

Alan Wells

unread,
Jan 16, 2020, 10:51:52 PM1/16/20
to Google Apps Script Community
The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades.
Google should buy me a free pair of sunglasses.  (I can't find a way to switch Google groups to dark mode)

Emeric HOCHART

unread,
Jan 17, 2020, 1:34:40 AM1/17/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I share my experience with you. 
I discovered appsheet recently because a student engineer used it for a business need. 
The application demonstrated that it worked and we discovered apps script. 
Now we refactor under GAS...

Great POC

Mike

unread,
Jan 17, 2020, 2:40:07 AM1/17/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
As a regular Appsheet+apps script user, I have found a place for both. Appsheet is great for rapidly prototyping data based apps (like from sheets). In 10’ almost anyone can have a functional app running that you can iterate on. From that point you can either (1) use it as is, (2) add back-end intelligence and automation using apps script (like i often do), or (3) re-build the app on an alternative platform that might scale better or have deeper features. For me, the difference is in the “ideation” stages. Do I need an iOS developer to understand the capabilities needed, or can identify capabilities needed in a more technology agnostic way. In most cases, “real programmers”, and certainly people with data and information architecture understanding, will be needed to scale or refine it - even if it stays “no-code”. No-code does not mean no information architecture needed (table and data relationships still required). There is no right or wrong. It’s just a great tool for the right use cases. Just my thoughts ...

Martin Hawksey

unread,
Jan 19, 2020, 10:31:28 AM1/19/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
A question I have is where does AppSheet fit with App Maker? I'm guessing AppSheet fits that Google Sheets hole in App Maker as well as being able to publish webforms for non-domain access. Anything else I'm missing?   

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 07:40, Mike <adler...@gmail.com> wrote:
As a regular Appsheet+apps script user, I have found a place for both.  Appsheet is great for rapidly prototype data based apps (like from sheets).  In 10’ almost anyone can have a functional app running that you can iterate on.  From that point you can either (1) use it as is, (2) add back-end intelligence and automation using apps script (like i often do), or (3) are-build the app on an alternative platform that might scale better or have deeper features.  For me, the difference is in the “ideation” stages.  Do I need an iOS developer to understand the capabilities need, or can identify capabilities needed in a more technology agnostic way.  In most cases, “real programmers”, and certainly people with data and information architecture understanding, will be needed to scale or refine it - even if it stays “no-code”.  No-code does not mean no information architecture needed (table and data relationships still required).  There is no right or wrong.  It’s just a great tool for the right use cases.  Just my thoughts ...


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-c...@googlegroups.com.


--
Martin Hawksey

Latest tweet (see how):

My little downtime project this year is to use #GoogleAppsScript to send some personalised images extending the G Suite based bulk email solution I shared earlier in the year... #GSuiteDevs https://t.co/mTHKQsULxT

— Martin Hawksey #altc (@mhawksey) December 24, 2019

Mike

unread,
Jan 20, 2020, 9:42:38 PM1/20/20
to Google Apps Script Community
I don’t know the long term strategy for Appsheet co-existing with App Maker. They take different approaches with Appsheet being “no-code” but heavily formula and configuration driven. I have not done much in App Maker, but seems like a “next step up” and more like “low code”. Merging the two would make for a very interesting tool set, serving a very broad range of citizen developers. No idea if that’s on the table but could get interesting. Just hoping they let the App Sheet team stay as responsive and user focused as they have been. Really great customer experience!

Alex

unread,
Jan 23, 2020, 1:47:00 AM1/23/20
to Google Apps Script Community
The best after this is to add indexes for Google Sheets rows.

Alex

unread,
Jan 27, 2020, 11:28:51 AM1/27/20
to Google Apps Script Community
I got it today

Dear Administrator,
We’re writing to let you know that due to low usage, the App Maker product will be shut down on January 19, 2021. Google Cloud will continue to invest in providing customers with best-in-class solutions in the low-code/no-code space. While we regret the inconvenience this may cause, we’re committed to helping your organization navigate this change.

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 5:28:27 PM UTC+3, aj.addons wrote:

Dimu Designs

unread,
Jan 27, 2020, 11:56:38 AM1/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Wow...another piece of Google tech destined for the boneyard...Looks like Apps Sheet is App Maker's replacement.

CBM Services

unread,
Jan 27, 2020, 1:44:24 PM1/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
It is not surprising. It was not offering much more than what is already available with Google Sites. The Cloud Database was only clear new addition. But uf your DB is small enough to fit in a spreadsheet, then it is of little use.

It would have had a lot more appeal if it created mobile Apps.

From: Dimu Designs
Sent: ‎2020-‎01-‎27 8:56 AM
To: Google Apps Script Community
Subject: [Apps-Script] Re: AppSheet purchased by Google Cloud - News

Wow...another piece of Google tech destined for the boneyard...Looks like Apps Sheet is App Maker's replacement.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-c...@googlegroups.com.

Jacopo Rumi

unread,
Jan 27, 2020, 2:10:54 PM1/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
This totally missed the point.
AppMaker offered a low code MVC (= interface representing line data) which is totally missing otherwise and was extremely useful to stitch together the various Google Services in data driven / workflow automation scenarios.
Add data analysis with Data Studio and the potential was great.
We have been able to deliver and update apps very fast with AppMaker.
Now the burden it's in us the rewrite them (as if it were nothing) while they are already in production.
All the experience wasted.
A total loss of money and a serious blow to customer confidence.

CBMServices Web

unread,
Jan 27, 2020, 2:46:12 PM1/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I beg to disagree. It certainly had potential but lack of mobile app support certainly discourages anyone from spending effort on it. There are many other easier ways to do MVC implementations and simple views are possible via Google sites directly with minimal html5.

I do feel for all who spent effort using it (and growing to love it). It will be a pain to redesign around it. But obviously you were not numerous enough to warrant its survival.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages