Creating new standard project automatically adds many APIs

Alan Wells

Jun 26, 2019, 10:40:23 PM6/26/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I created a new standard project to associate with an Apps Script project, and many APIs were automatically enabled.

BigQuery API
Cloud Datastore API
Cloud SQL
Cloud Storage
Google Cloud APIs
Google Cloud Storage JSON API
Service Management API
Service Usage API

I don't use any of those APIs.  I don't know why they were automatically enabled, but I'm afraid that if they are needed for something, then deleting them will cause a problem.

Anyone else had the same experience?  Can I delete them?

Faustino Rodriguez

Jun 27, 2019, 8:31:38 AM6/27/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I have deleted them a few times without a problem
It's kind of a waste of time adding them by default there, but I don't know of any other way to create a new project without any Api enabled

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 10:40:23 PM UTC-4, aj.addons wrote:
I created a new standard project to association with an Apps Script project, and many APIs were automatically enabled.

Alan Wells

Jun 27, 2019, 9:23:15 AM6/27/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I found some documentation on the subject of APIs being automatically created when you create a GCP project:

There is no explanation in the documentation about why these APIs are added automatically, just that you can delete (disable) them, like you can delete (disable) any API that is enabled.

Dimu Designs

Jun 27, 2019, 9:30:10 AM6/27/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
They are basically defaults that have been more or less a standard for GCP projects. You should not have any issues deleting them.

Big Query, Cloud Datastore, Cloud SQL have to do with database storage solutions.If your project does not need to leverage any of those services feel free to kick these APIs to the curb.

Cloud Storage,Google Cloud Storage JSON API have to do with file storage (basically App Engine's equivalent to Google Drive or AWS S3)

Service Usage API is good for usage analytics (you might what to keep this one to track usage statistics for the APIs functions you do use)

Service Management API, according to the documentation this has to do with building out service infrastructure on top of App Engine; I don't see any overlap with GAS so you can drop this API

Google Cloud APIs is basically a catch all where you get some very broad oauth scopes(at the project level, GAS projects are client applications so this may not impact them). I'd recommend getting rid of this one if you're publishing add-ons just to be safe.