I am one of the owners of this group. I'm interested in getting your feedback about the group. What are your ideas? Are you currently using Apps Script a lot? How important is Apps Script to you? Are you using Apps Script more or less? Can you get the answers that you need? What are your hopes or concerns about Apps Script? What do you want this group to be? How can this group remain active and relevant?
I used to code a lot with Apps Script.
Nowadays, thanks to AI, everything has become much easier. However, these days I only focus my GAS development on my professional Google Workspace needs. For personal projects, I prefer using AI for full-stack development.
Using AI has certainly reduced my need for communities like this, but I can't imagine a future without them. People will always surprise me in ways that AI simply can't.
Thanks !
I am one of the owners of this group. I'm interested in getting your feedback about the group. What are your ideas? Are you currently using Apps Script a lot? How important is Apps Script to you? Are you using Apps Script more or less? Can you get the answers that you need? What are your hopes or concerns about Apps Script? What do you want this group to be? How can this group remain active and relevant?
Alan Wells
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-c...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-script-community/0612f614-7f6e-4fbc-8bb1-9779ce6fa368n%40googlegroups.com.
GAS = Google Apps Script
By the way, I recommend using the official Google clasp extension for VS Code:
Use the command-line interface with clasp | Apps Script | Google for Developers: https://share.google/TccdQmieIDUF56pVZ
Nowadays, it's the best way to code in GAS.
I am one of the owners of this group. I'm interested in getting your feedback about the group. What are your ideas? Are you currently using Apps Script a lot? How important is Apps Script to you? Are you using Apps Script more or less? Can you get the answers that you need? What are your hopes or concerns about Apps Script? What do you want this group to be? How can this group remain active and relevant?
Alan Wells
--
While I may send emails outside traditional working hours, I do not expect a response outside of your own.
Katie Nealis | Illustration and Content Asset Manager | E katie....@macmillan.com
Inspiring What’s Possible For Every Learner
|
This email contains confidential and potentially sensitive information intended solely for the designated recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, distribution, copying, or reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. Please do not open any attachments. Immediately delete this email from your system and notify the sender promptly by email that you have done so.
|
GetYourGuide Deutschland GmbH
Sonnenburger Str. 71-75, 10437 Berlin
Registered Office (Sitz): Berlin
Managing Directors: Tao Tao, Nils Chrestin, Johannes Reck
District Court of Berlin: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 132059 B
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-script-c...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-script-community/16e20fa6-7b4c-4b10-bb88-8f6557ff3633n%40googlegroups.com.
Anyone can submit a Sheets add-on to the Google Workspace Marketplace. There are already thousands of add-ons, and probably at least hundreds of Sheets add-ons. There is a lot of competition. Anyone looking for an add-on that isn't already established, or for a less used purpose, needs to search and hopefully find something that isn't displayed. For anyone trying to enter the Google add-on marketplace, it's not easy. I don't know of any way to market your add-on outside of the Workspace Marketplace. If you have inside connections to a specific business or industry, that would help. Being an "insider" is better than developing a superior app. You could develop a great app that goes nowhere because you're bad at sales.
I don't doubt that there are unmet needs for Sheets add-ons, but is it worth it to provide an app that meets a need? What is the demand? Are people willing to pay anything? How do you monetize it? How do you protect your code? Do you want to protect your code? There are already thousands of Sheets templates
You can access free Google Sheets templates directly through the Google Template Gallery, or download them from reputable third-party sites like Tiller, Smartsheet, and SlidesCarnival. These resources provide ready-made solutions for personal budgeting, project management, and small business accountingTo view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-script-community/2d9b9ecd-a976-4a20-820f-6ce320368fcen%40googlegroups.com.
Before this, the company had spent three years struggling to receive large files, often relying on mailing physical CDs, USB drives, or third party sharing companies (with PIi issues) . Since implementing this script, everything has become seamless. Doing it with Apps Script was very straightforward. By comparison, building an external platform with a dedicated server, a full-stack JavaScript environment, etc., was daunting for them. The moment I suggested building it natively within Apps Script, they were thrilled: it lives directly inside Google Workspace and it's completely secure.
As you rightly pointed out, there are countless small automation tasks—optimizing emails, reports, spreadsheets, file transfers, and more—that could be easily handled with Apps Script. Companies just miss out either because they don't know it exists or because they lack someone on the team with the drive to set it up.
Hi Alan,
Thank you for opening this conversation — and for the work you and the other owners put into keeping this group running.
To answer your questions:
How much do I use Apps Script? A lot. I maintain several internal tools built on Apps Script (Drive and user management, automated workflows, Sheets-based dashboards). It is the fastest way I know to turn a Google Workspace need into something that actually runs, without standing up a separate server or going through a heavy deployment process. My usage has been growing rather than shrinking.
Can I get the answers I need? Most of the time, yes — and this group has been a big part of that. I have learned a great deal here, often from threads I wasn't even the author of: quota edge cases, OAuth scope behaviour, the subtleties of the advanced services, and many practical patterns I now use daily. So first of all: thank you to everyone who takes the time to answer.
My main suggestion: language. The group is, in practice, almost exclusively in English. For many of us, English is a second language, so we are dealing with two barriers at once — the code and the language. I sometimes hesitate to post because formulating a precise technical question in English takes real effort, and I suspect I am not the only one. It would be great to explore language-based sub-groups or tagged threads (French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Japanese…), where people could ask and answer in their own language, while the main group stays in English as the common ground. Even a lightweight approach would help: a [FR]-style tag in the subject, or a pinned list of regional communities. I would gladly help moderate or seed a French-speaking space if that is useful.
Hopes and concerns. My hope is that Apps Script keeps evolving (the V8 runtime, the newer APIs and the Workspace add-on framework were great steps) and stays as accessible as it is today. My concern is the opposite: that it gradually becomes a "second-class" option compared with heavier platforms, or that documentation lags behind changes. A community like this one is precisely what compensates for that.
What I'd like the group to be. A place where beginners feel safe asking "naive" questions, where experienced members share real-world patterns (not only answers to bugs), and where language is not a filter on who gets to participate. Occasional themed threads ("show what you built this month", "one tip you wish you'd known earlier") could also keep things lively between the Q&A posts.
Thanks again for asking — and for the group itself.
Best regards,
Fabrice
In order for any endeavor to be sustainable, there needs to be an incentive to the people doing the work. The benefit needs to be worth the cost. Even if the incentive isn't direct financial gain, indirect financial gain is often the path to make something viable. If your employment or business depends on Apps Script, then you're indirectly financially benefiting from finding solutions with Apps Script. If you're a developer, you could use the group to establish a reputation as being knowledgeable about Apps Script and then find customers. Or you could promote your solution and find customers who need it.