Scheduling an Email from a Google Addon

Davis Jones

Jul 17, 2019, 1:05:54 PM7/17/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi GAS friends,
I've built a Sheets script that enables my team to create "learning automations" (series of instructional emails) for our students. Basically, it enables us to select a few drafts and schedule them for sending to one of our school's students over time.
I want to make this available in Gmail, because it makes a lot more sense for us to do this in Gmail vs. in a random, unrelated Google Sheet. However, the developer reference for triggers shows that time-based triggers (required to run a function that checks when to send scheduled emails) aren't available for Gmail. Am I wrong about this?
Some related details:
  1. I know that this is possible, because apps like Boomerang already do it
  2. Some on Stackoverflow have suggested that the chron method from Google Cloud services can be used to do this. Is this the best / only way?
  3. I know that Vinicius also has a similar need from this post he made in this Group
Thanks in advance for your help!

Eric Koleda

Aug 12, 2019, 8:27:22 PM8/12/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Unfortunately time-driven triggers are still not available for Gmail add-ons. Boomerang is deployed as a Chrome extension, not a Gmail add-on (as far as I know). Gmail add-ons can only access gmail data when the user has the email open.

- Eric