Accessing Gmail Canned Responses with GAS

Scott Donald

Aug 15, 2019, 2:38:35 AM8/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a library to access Gmail's canned responses templates.

canned responses.png

I've looked in MailApp, GmailApp and the Gmail advanced services with no luck. Perhaps I have my vernacular wrong and don't know the term to search for. I tried to look for it in my label list after a bit of troubleshooting but no luck.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to be able to access canned responses as a way to send out a bulk email as opposed to some of the other methods I have used.

Cheers Scott

Amit Agarwal

Aug 15, 2019, 3:15:08 AM8/15/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I think the templates are stored as hidden drafts in Gmail - try retrieving the Gmail drafts via the advanced Gmail service and see if that works.

Amit Agarwal
blog: labnol.org    shop: digitalinspiration.com

Scott Donald

Aug 15, 2019, 4:13:25 AM8/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Thanks, Amit!

I'm playing around with it now. So far I can't quite find they have differentiated hidden draft files with the accompanying JSON data. I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks again.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 12:08 PM Scott Donald <scott.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a library to access Gmail's canned responses templates.

canned responses.png

I've looked in MailApp, GmailApp and the Gmail advanced services with no luck. Perhaps I have my vernacular wrong and don't know the term to search for. I tried to look for it in my label list after a bit of troubleshooting but no luck.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to be able to access canned responses as a way to send out a bulk email as opposed to some of the other methods I have used.

Cheers Scott

Eric Koleda

Aug 15, 2019, 8:19:06 AM8/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Unfortunately I don't believe there is any API, in Apps Script or elsewhere, for managing the canned responses. That would be a good feature request though.

- Eric

Scott Donald

Aug 16, 2019, 1:25:34 AM8/16/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Thanks for the update, Eric.

I put a feature request in and it can be accessed here if anyone would like to bump it:

Fernando Falcao

Aug 16, 2019, 9:11:30 AM8/16/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Done!

Dimu Designs

Aug 16, 2019, 12:19:02 PM8/16/19
to Google Apps Script Community
To all interested parties, be sure to star the feature request on issue tracker. Adding a "+1" comment will not do much (if anything) to raise awareness of the issue. Its better to star it instead.