Updates to Release Notes for April 5, 2019 and April 8, 2019

Dimu Designs

Apr 8, 2019, 5:01:51 PM4/8/19
to Google Apps Script Community
See Release Notes for details.

There have been changes to how GCP projects associated with scripts are handled...I leverage GCP projects heavily so I'm concerned how this might affect my work. Thankfully, I haven't run into any issues yet. Has anyone faced any problems regarding the GCP update?

Alan Wells

Apr 8, 2019, 9:21:56 PM4/8/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I always access the GCP through the code editor, and from the documentation and what I've experienced, it seems that a "standard" project is automatically created at some point if you open the GCP through the coded editor and do much of anything, like enabling an API.  I only use the GCP for add-ons.  It kinda seems like, if you can see the project in the GCP, then it's "standard" and if you can't see it, it's the "default."  And I don't see any need to explicitly create a default project for an add-on if it gets created automatically by enabling the Marketplace SDK.  You need to do that if you want to publish it, so it's going to create the standard project at that point.

Andrew Roberts

Apr 9, 2019, 1:21:39 AM4/9/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com, Dimu Designs
I think this may have been around a while for bound scripts? I'd remember noticing that the GCP projects for a bound scripts I was working on wasn't available and having to create a standard GCP project and this was a few months ago.

@Dimu Designs Thanks for the heads up on the updates, looks like I've got some reading to do!

Stéphane Giron

Apr 9, 2019, 9:15:32 AM4/9/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi

May be it needs more test, just created a standalone script with G Suite user account, and accessed the GCP project to activate the Gmail API.

Stéphane

Eric Koleda

Apr 19, 2019, 11:38:54 AM4/19/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi Everyone,

The release notes were published when we started rolling out this feature, but it wasn't yet enabled for everyone. It's now 100% rolled out, so you should see this behavior on all new scripts.

This change shouldn't impact basic Apps Script users who don't know or care about the associated GCP project. But if you regularly enable additional GCP features on your Apps Script projects (like BigQuery, etc) then you will need to start replacing the default GCP projects with ones you manually create.

Best,
- Eric

Dimu Designs

Apr 19, 2019, 12:03:12 PM4/19/19
to Google Apps Script Community
@Eric Koleda What is the maximum number of GCP projects allotted to a consumer and GSuite Basic accounts. Last I checked is was around 20. I know that GSuite business accounts can request more but my assumption is that doesn't hold for consumer accounts...

Rubén Rivera

Apr 19, 2019, 12:20:35 PM4/19/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I very recently found that the limit of GCP projects warning is shown only for to projects to be created without a G Suite organization assigned. If the new project is assigned to a G Suite organization the warning disappears. Anyway, I still would like to know how exactly this work and the advantages of using one or the other.

Eric Koleda

Apr 19, 2019, 12:30:34 PM4/19/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I believe the limit for consumer accounts is 20, but as Rubén said it doesn't apply to projects created within an organization. Consumer accounts can request the ability to create more projects, as outlined here:

It's also worth noting that you can have multiple Apps Script projects share the same GCP project. The only case where this won't work is if you want to publish the Apps Script as an add-on, in which case you would need separate projects.

- Eric

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.

Romain Vialard

Apr 23, 2019, 5:02:40 AM4/23/19
to Google Apps Script Community
So, apparently, since this update:
  • you can use advanced services without having to create a GCP project (no need anymore to open GCP and activate a specific API to use advanced services, which is nice)
  • but you can't access Stackdriver logs anymore without assigning a GCP project to the new script (logs are available via the Apps Script dashboard, though it doesn't seem to work for me as of now and in any case those logs are displayed by execution, without the ability to search / filters logs like you can in Stackdriver Logging)

Raul Flores, Jr.

Apr 24, 2019, 12:19:24 PM4/24/19
to Google Apps Script Community
This is nice. We still need to enable via resources but does this mean we can turn them on just be editing the manifest? hmm checking

Raul Flores, Jr.

Apr 24, 2019, 12:25:47 PM4/24/19
to Google Apps Script Community
The editor seems to respect adding via manifest.
Does anyone see a problem with creating a manifest to specify time zone and advanced services in a new script and working from that?