Apps Script execution timeout petition

Andrew Apell

Mar 9, 2020, 10:56:50 AM3/9/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
I have filed a feature request to petition Google to increase the time allocated for custom functions to complete execution from 30 seconds to a minimum of 1 minute.
My request has been accepted for review.
Please add your voice (and/or star) so that we get this much needed feature. Here is the link: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/151002498

Alex

Mar 9, 2020, 3:56:39 PM3/9/20
to Google Apps Script Community
We're with you!

Andrew Apell

Mar 9, 2020, 5:19:33 PM3/9/20
to Google Apps Script Community
🙏

AD:AM

Mar 9, 2020, 5:44:09 PM3/9/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi there - I guess I'd have to be a voice of dissent here. Any in-cell formula - whether it uses custom functions or native Sheets functions - that takes that long to run makes for a pretty poor spreadsheet experience. At that point it would seem better to execute the logic in some way other than a custom function.

That said Andrew, the response on your issue says otherwise! Just giving my 2c I guess.

Cheers
Adam

Andrew Apell

Mar 9, 2020, 6:14:25 PM3/9/20
to Google Apps Script Community
This is precisely why I opted for something like 1 minute.
I agree that anything running longer than that might indeed lead to a poor spreadsheet experience and I think it could also be a sign of poorly written code.

However, on a personal note, I would be happy with about 5 minutes because that would place my add-on on equal footing with some of the standalone "alternatives" outside the G Suite platform.

Let's wait and see what they decide.

Andrew Apell

Mar 27, 2020, 3:59:52 PM3/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Looks like this petition has been accepted. Thanks for the support you all showed.