Google Slide Show Auto Restart

Jennifer

May 17, 2024, 8:31:31 AMMay 17
to Google Apps Script Community
Hello everyone,

First, thank you so much for allowing me to join your Google Apps Script community.

Does anyone know of a script that can automatically restart a Google Slide show?

Here's the background:

I have several charts embedded within Google Slides. The intent is for the resulting slide show to run continually on screens within our production areas. The challenge is that the charts update frequently. I need the slide show to auto restart so that the updated charts are always shown.

While I have successfully written a script to update the charts every 5 minutes within Google Slides, it is the slide show itself that is problematic. I believe a script to auto restart the slide show would be a solution. I welcome and appreciate any feedback, advice, or Apps Script that you've found that will auto restart a Google Slides slide show.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Martin Molloy

May 17, 2024, 11:42:50 AMMay 17
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried publishing the slideshow as a webpage and showing that on the display?

Jennifer

May 17, 2024, 12:21:51 PMMay 17
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi Martin,

Thank you so much for helping me with this.

I have tried publishing it as a webpage and showing that on the display. I ran into the same problem in that the charts within the slide show do not automatically update. To get the updated charts to show, I have to manually restart the slide show.

Keith Andersen

May 17, 2024, 12:31:19 PMMay 17
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Are your charts from a spreadsheet? If yes, publish to the web the tab that the chart is on. Then using either the URL or the embed code put it on your site. This way they will automatically update without having to restart anything.

Passions: God, Family, Scriptures, Learning, Data Management, Google Sheets + App Script and much more!

Jennifer Emert

May 18, 2024, 2:46:08 AMMay 18
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for your help Keith.

That's a great idea and, in fact, the first idea I tried. I added a plugin that allows rotation between charts as I have 5 that I want to display on a rotating basis. Unfortunately, it reached a point where the refreshing process bogged the charts down.

The Google Slide Show renders beautifully and doesn't bog the system down but there's the fact that the charts aren't updated unless the slide show is restarted.

Jennifer Emert
Soles Enterprises, Inc. | (605) 582-2220

Keith Andersen

May 19, 2024, 11:11:42 PMMay 19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Rather than a rotation of charts why not put charts on a separate spreadsheet in separate tabs the ln publish that whole spreadsheet to the web. That way you will get the quick refresh and the user can click on whatever chart they need to see.

Passions: God, Family, Scriptures, Learning, Data Management, Google Sheets + App Script and much more!

Jennifer

May 20, 2024, 6:34:33 PMMay 20
to Google Apps Script Community
That will work. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate you.

Keith Andersen

May 20, 2024, 6:35:41 PMMay 20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com