New community - next steps

Romain Vialard

Mar 14, 2019, 12:55:40 PM3/14/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi all,

I updated some of the settings of this group, trying to select the best Groups settings for a public forum like this one.
We will surely make some adjustments step by step, depending on usage of this new community.

Tomorrow I will contact Alan, to make sure he is on board and avoid conflicting communities (2 new groups).
I will also replace my pinned post on the community (https://plus.google.com/116263732197316259248/posts/8GTGviqpiRz) by a new announcement and invite to the group all people who filled the form to be notified about the new home.

I will also try to answer / participate as much as possible to this new group, to ease the transition and show to people that this community will be an active one.
In the coming week, we could also switch the current G+ community to read-only, to force people to try this new forum before the official end of G+.

All good for everyone?

Eric Koleda

Mar 14, 2019, 1:56:42 PM3/14/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Sounds good to me!

Jasper Duizendstra

Mar 14, 2019, 3:06:42 PM3/14/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Sounds good.

Riël Notermans

Mar 14, 2019, 5:26:09 PM3/14/19
to Jasper Duizendstra, Google Apps Script Community
Okay, I try to be extra alert as well on responding.

Martin Hawksey

Mar 14, 2019, 6:02:08 PM3/14/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Great work Romain!

A couple of questions/suggestions for all:
  • do we want to list moderators in the welcome message? (might help in terms of indicating this is the place for support)
  • any strong feelings on using categories? (have to say I've not much experience of using categories in Groups)
Also happy with the plan

Thanks
Martin

Romain Vialard

Mar 15, 2019, 4:39:16 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
@Martin, I'll try to improve the welcome message, without it taking too much place in the Groups UI.
Regarding Categories - if I remember well - they add an extra navigation step as you need to open the group, select a category and view all posts in that category. Maybe we could add that depending on the amount of messages posted?

We can also enable Tags, which are less constraining than Categories. I'll try that first.

Romain Vialard

Mar 15, 2019, 4:41:11 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I will also contact Steve Webster and suggest to redirect members of the add-on community to this group (I don't know if it would make more sense to create 2 different groups but at the moment I think it makes more sense to try to attract as many people as possible on this new community).

Romain Vialard

Mar 15, 2019, 5:37:43 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I've just shared the news on the G+ community:

I'm also beginning to invite all people (192) who filled this form to the group.
And I've suggested to Steve Webster to use this group for discussions on Add-ons as well.

Steve Webster

Mar 15, 2019, 6:52:09 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Thank you, Romain. I will let G+ add-on members know.
Just curious -- why not Product Forums with their new UI?

Clark Lind

Mar 15, 2019, 7:39:45 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Thanks Romain!  I suppose now you could build some GAS apps to monitor/manage this group...  ;)

Luke Marshall

Mar 15, 2019, 8:06:34 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I wonder if Appmaker couldn't be used to create something uniquely designed for this kind of scenario?

ANDY LOL

Mar 15, 2019, 8:19:21 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Hello everybody

Dimu Designs

Mar 15, 2019, 8:36:08 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
AppMaker is bound to a GSuite domain and you need at least a business-tier GSuite account to access it.

At US$10.00 per user per month (soon to be US$11.00) I don't believe that would be viable - who would foot the bill for a 100+ member community?.

Dimu Designs

Mar 15, 2019, 8:40:22 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
You should make him a moderator here if possible.

Dimu Designs

Mar 15, 2019, 9:30:36 AM3/15/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Currently topics are pretty open-ended. You might want to consider using categories to provide easy navigation to (and grouping under) select topics.

Tom

Mar 15, 2019, 9:46:30 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I stopped using GG in the past because there wasn't any basic privacy/protection from spammers: you have to expose your gmail/gsuite address, so spammers can easily harvest everyone's address.

Is that still the case? It seems odd that GG would work that way so maybe I'm missing something? Is there a setting that the group admins can set to change this?

Thanks.

Clark Lind

Mar 15, 2019, 10:04:57 AM3/15/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Tom, I was just skimming the Apps Script reference for GG, and was reading this, so hopefully it is manageable. Alternatively, you could always create a Yahoo-type account, use that for GG subscriptions, and forward that back to yourself..  I might do that anyway.

getUsers()

Retrieves the direct members of the group that have a known corresponding Google account. Throws an exception if you do not have permission to view the group's member list.

Romain Vialard

Mar 15, 2019, 10:07:36 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
@Steve, only Google can create new Product Forums. There might be one at some point for Apps Script but no plan to release one in the new future, hence why Google Groups.

@Luke, In fact there's also an official Google Group to discuss App Maker :)

@Dimu, yes depending on the activity on this forum / community we will see if it makes sense to create Categories. For now I'm testing Tags (we can use either Tags or Categories, but not both).

@Tom, only moderators of this group can see each member email address. So spammers won't be able to harvest them. But I know Google Groups is still suffering from spammers who are posting to the group directly. We will see if that happens and how to fight it.
Here are the current privacy settings for the group:

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 14.56.34.png

Peter C

Mar 15, 2019, 10:59:03 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Hello all,
Well received the invitation. Thank you Romain.

Luke Marshall

Mar 15, 2019, 11:30:34 AM3/15/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Good point , I guess I was loosely thinking that it could be made available to whom ever was pitching in to build it. doesn't seem like it would cost them much and they would probably get some really good data from it . the user side would be still available to the public and group members , it might save a lot of awkwardness trying to get used to the google groups email format. but it was an off the cuff thought and considering it now that would probably snowball pretty quick. I grateful to still be included.

Sincerely, Luke Marshall

Luke Marshall

CountyVape.com

instagram_32.pngfacebook_32.pngtwitter_32.pngHome 32 .png

Cell: 647-525-664

Work: 519-787-1264

Lu...@LnMSupplies.com

Big City Selection

Small Town Service

Luke Marshall

  instagram_32.pngfacebook_32.pngtwitter_32.pngunnamed.pngphon 16.pngHome 32 .png

Contact us anytime! https://LnMSupplies.com/contact

L&M Supplies Limited is a private corporation registered federally with Corporations Canada. All communications unless specifically stated otherwise are private and Confidential. If you think you have received an email in error please disregard it's contents and delete it immediately.

David Tew

Mar 15, 2019, 12:01:36 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Thanks you Romain, and hello everyone.

Rubén Rivera

Mar 15, 2019, 12:03:05 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Thank you very much Romain and the others helping to make this work.

Cheers,
Rubén

Faustino Rodriguez

Mar 15, 2019, 12:07:07 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
In my experience, Tags would be better than Categories
And in a few week, you might be able to reduce the Welcome message to a single line with a link to a post for more details

One question:
- Is there a way to "mention" a group member in a post, so they get notified?

Romain Vialard

Mar 15, 2019, 12:21:41 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
@Faustino, not really. I found a setting to allow post assignment to a specific member, and activated that (you should see an "assign" button at the top of each post):

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 17.18.28.png

But I think it's really more for groups used as a ticketing tool where you assign agents on specific tickets...

Faustino Rodriguez

Mar 15, 2019, 5:00:45 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
agreed
maybe just for moderators, but not as a general option

Raul Flores, Jr.

Mar 15, 2019, 6:21:43 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Great work. Thanks. I really believe this is an important community.

Regarding, "In the coming week, we could also switch the current G+ community to read-only, to force people to try this new forum before the official end of G+."

Is the thought to keep the G+ read-only, forcing all members over (over time). Or, is it for a brief time and if so, wouldn't that make more work for the moderators. From a developer relations standpoint, especially whenever GAS supports modern ECMAScript, seems like a great doorway to all things GCP - young scripters find GCP sort of thinking.

Anyway, thanks again for all everyone does in this space.

Cheers,
"rudy"
red crow consulting

Jacob Edward

Mar 15, 2019, 6:27:37 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Since Google is forcing everybody off of G+ (not sure why they would do that and not just leave it up with absolutely no support whatsoever, seems odd they would kill the program if it used a lot of their Cloud resources) I'd say that there should be a forced read only but the link to the new group needs to be the first thing people see, maybe update the description and pin a post?

Martin Hawksey

Mar 16, 2019, 3:38:52 AM3/16/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com

Since Google is forcing everybody off of G+

Not everyone is being forced off. G Suite users with G+ accounts will still be able to use Google+. At one point we thought we could save the existing community by adding a G Suite G+ account as an owner. In theory this saves the community from complete deletion, but it turns out while G Suite G+ accounts will still be able to post consumer Gmail accounts won't be able to post and existing posts will be deleted :(

The plan is to keep the old community up in red only and pin a post that directs here and the complete archive taken by Romain

Raul Flores, Jr.

Mar 16, 2019, 4:03:50 AM3/16/19
to Google Apps Script Community
The plan is to keep the old community up in red only and pin a post that directs here and the complete archive taken by Romain

Perhaps an announced date for the read-only mode cutover would make the transition less jarring for community users? seems like a good plan, thanks for the update.

Kanshi Tanaike

Mar 16, 2019, 4:14:56 AM3/16/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Thank you so much, Romain. Great work!

Jacques Chazarain

Mar 16, 2019, 10:02:10 AM3/16/19
to Google Apps Script Community

As they say for a dead king: Google plus is dead, long live Google group!

Jacob Edward

Mar 16, 2019, 3:44:45 PM3/16/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
That doesn't explain why they wouldn't just maintain the already built software without support...

We could probably write some script to integrate google group posts and the old G+ posts in a single archive document rendered in a cloud editor like ACE or something...  after that sorting and doing search/filter objects would be easy but I'd bet there would be a lot of repeated issues...  create a FAQ or something...  try to keep the google group uncluttered...  the problem is all of that needs to be integrated with the search bar and the "new post" function in google groups... not sure how to do that without a browser extension as google doesn't just give that control through their API...

Jacob Edward

Mar 16, 2019, 4:00:28 PM3/16/19
to Google Apps Script Community
The king isn't dead yet, it's like he's waiting for his scheduled execution ... can you be a king if you're on death row?

123 DIGI • WIN Service

Mar 16, 2019, 7:48:28 PM3/16/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
If posts are deleted, does the owner of the post loose it?

Digitaler Assistent für soziale Netzwerke im echten Leben
123 DIGI • WIN Service

HINWEIS AUF VERTRAULICHKEIT:
Diese E-mail ist vertraulich. Jede unberechtigte Weitergabe, Vervielfältigung oder Verbreitung ist unzulässig. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, verständigen Sie bitte unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie diese Information aus Ihrem System.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This e-mail is confidential. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use in prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the intire communication from your system.

Martin Hawksey

Mar 18, 2019, 2:57:39 AM3/18/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com

If posts are deleted, does the owner of the post loose it?

Yes - I believe that is the case.

Your Google+ account is going away on 2 April 2019. Downloading your Google+ content may take time, so get started before 31 March 2019.

Stephen Daniels

Mar 18, 2019, 5:02:21 AM3/18/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Thank you Romain

Romain Vialard

Mar 18, 2019, 5:22:31 AM3/18/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I've updated the G+ Community settings to hold new posts for review (ie: disallow posting) and updated the pinned post to ask people to publish new content on this group.

Screenshot 2019-03-18 at 10.20.12.png

ANDY LOL

Mar 20, 2019, 3:42:27 AM3/20/19
to Google Apps Script Community
so if a user need to ask something about coding what is the procedure to follow?
we need to use the group creating a new topic?

Andrew Roberts

Mar 20, 2019, 6:36:29 AM3/20/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Yep. And you can use #tags to describe the problem.