Script for Work (No experience)

Stefan Kovacsics

Dec 2, 2022, 11:22:57 AM12/2/22
to Google Apps Script Community
Hey guys im Looking for a Script or Makro what does the following:

Idea 1:
Dupicate a sheet in an spreadsheet and name it after an Cell in Sheet 1(Overview)
I want to have a Button in CELL A2 "New Checklist" in CELL A1 i write the Name of the Checklist and when i press "New Checklist" it copies my template and renames it to value of A1

Idea2:
Duplicate sheet (template) and open a mask to Rename the Sheet directly.

Sorry im completly new to this

Thanks if anybody can help me

Michael O'Shaughnessy

Dec 2, 2022, 9:14:48 PM12/2/22
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Here you go:

The link will force you to make a copy.  On the main tab enter the name of the new tab in cell A1 then click on the big blue button.  The first time you click it you will have to accept all the permissions.  The "template" tab is the tab that will be "copied".

Let me know if you have any questions.

Stefan Kovacsics

Dec 3, 2022, 9:34:40 AM12/3/22
to Google Apps Script Community
THANK YOU so much, that does exactly what i needed it to do!!!!!
Now that this works sooooo fine, may i ask for 1 more help or advice.
So the Template i created has a Header section where the following will be represented:

Date of Show: DATE
Name of Artist: ARTISTNAME
Name of Show: SHOWNAME

Those 3 Lines are always different, is it possible to modify the script so i can feed the information for the 3 Cells DATE ARTISTNAME and SHOWNAME
Right now the new Sheet gets the name from the Cell ARTISTNAME now i somehow want to automate the DATE and the SHOWNAME in the Sheet itself

Michael O'Shaughnessy

Jan 10, 2023, 11:53:48 AM1/10/23
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed I did not click send on this email... sorry about that!

I made some updates to the sheet that I shared so if you click the link and make a copy you will be able to compare the code changes.

As you begin your journey into Google Apps Script coding, this little script is perfect to learn from.  It is not complicated and does something that you will do everytime you code a spreadsheet.  Have fun with the code, change things up and see what happens!  As you will see a lot of coding is "code, test, fix, run, fix, run, try again, update code, research solutions, code, test..."  then eventually you get to jump up and scream "Success!!!".. then you're off to your next issue!

Also, now that you have seen some code, the next time you try something on your own and reach out make sure you share what you have tried already!!!  I don't know how many times I have done that and somebody in this group says "Hey, change your 2 to a 4 and everything will be ok." Or "Hey, you need to insert a row before you do that..."  Simple things that you don't think about when you are in the middle of pulling your hair out!!