Why is the GAS project editor UI so different from other google docs editor UI

ChiefChippy2 is awesome

Mar 21, 2019, 5:32:44 PM3/21/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Why does the Apps Script UI look so old compared to other google services' UI ( i.e compare the Apps Script editor UI to google docs editors' UI )?
I feel like the apps script editor UI hasn't been changed since quite some time, and a fresh look would be awesome.
(BTW it is about the same for this community's UI )

Edward Ulle

Mar 21, 2019, 7:35:43 PM3/21/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Free is good and it gets the job done

Alan Wells

Mar 21, 2019, 7:46:16 PM3/21/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Be careful what you wish for.  Better looking doesn't mean better functioning.  It happens all the time that people prefer looks over function, and what you get is something better looking that isn't as good.  I'm not saying that improvements shouldn't be made, but appearance is not my priority.  It seems to me that Google is on a budget when it comes to investing in Apps Script, and whatever is in the budget, I want them to invest in fixing the worst problems.  I'd rather have an Engineer fixing Apps Script bugs than designing a new editor.

Adam Morris

Mar 21, 2019, 7:55:53 PM3/21/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
One roadmap towards a better editor would be to just look at AppMaker's editor.
————————————————————————————

Adam Morris | IT Systems & English Teacher | IGB International School
Jalan Sierramas Utama, Sierramas,
47000 Sungai Buloh, Selangor DE, Malaysia

t    +60 3 6145 4688
f    +60 3 6145 4600
w   www.igbis.edu.my
e    adam....@igbis.edu.my

————————————————————————————

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 7:46 AM Alan Wells <aj.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
Be careful what you wish for.  Better looking doesn't mean better functioning.  It happens all the time that people prefer looks over function, and what you get is a something better looking that isn't as good.  I'm not saying that improvements shouldn't be made, but appearance is not my priority.  It seems to me that Google is on a budget when it comes to investing in Apps Script, and whatever is in the budget, I want them to invest in fixing the worst problems.  I'd rather have an Engineer fixing Apps Script bugs than designing a new editor.

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 5:32:44 PM UTC-4, ChiefChippy2 is awesome wrote:
Why does the Apps Script UI look so old compared to other google services' UI ( i.e compare the Apps Script editor UI to google docs editors' UI )?
I feel like the apps script editor UI hasn't been changed since quite some time, and a fresh look would be awesome.
(BTW it is about the same for this community's UI )

Jacob Edward

Mar 21, 2019, 8:56:54 PM3/21/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I must just absolutely smash your comment... like wow you need to be stopped... it all just needs to be kept exactly as it is and they need to not change anything whatsoever, lock it in place and post guards on the other side...  if you want to use a custom solution you can interface with their command line functions... use augments if you want to have a different experience... I've written chrome extensions in the past when I was still using the editor, I now load the "ACE Cloud Editor" through a stand alone web app... it gets it done... very efficient at managing a large number of lines of code because it uses the code folding concept (bizarre to me they just skipped that function with so many other editors).

The Code for my Cloud Editor goo.gl/Um2MAk

Spencer Easton

Riël Notermans

Mar 23, 2019, 5:57:19 AM3/23/19
to Google Apps Script Community
We do have clasp: use your favourite IDE...! For users that deel more power I think this is the way to go.

If you are just wanting to create an easy script, I think the current IDE does the trick.

GAS could use better JavaScript runtimes and stuff and THAT is on the roadmap. Check the Next() session from 2018!

Op za 23 mrt. 2019 05:18 schreef Spencer Easton <spe...@easton-consulting.com>:
[...]

Riël Notermans

Mar 23, 2019, 5:59:19 AM3/23/19
to Google Apps Script Community
https://youtu.be/MGkcbP5Gd1o

Fast forward to 31:40 for the Apps Script Roadmap.

Alan Wells

Mar 23, 2019, 8:33:56 AM3/23/19
to Google Apps Script Community
The regular Apps Script code editor has extreme slow downs, and issues at about 1000 lines of code also.  Also, if you have one line of code that goes way off to the right, (not wrapped) it's almost impossible to copy and paste that line of code.  One way to deal with this is to break up the code into smaller files, which actually has a benefit if you are creating generic, modular units of code for reuse.

ChiefChippy2 is awesome

Mar 23, 2019, 10:33:59 AM3/23/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Yes I see everyone has different opinions about this.

Jacob Edward

Mar 23, 2019, 2:48:39 PM3/23/19
to Google Apps Script Community
What if they add another item on the left column of the

to view a list of public third party stand alone apps script code editors?

That way it's easy for new coders to find it and the old interface doesn't have to be broken by updates...

Riël Notermans

Mar 23, 2019, 6:59:55 PM3/23/19
to Google Apps Script Community
There are none. The clasp Idea is that you can use any codeeditor you like ...

Jacob Edward

Mar 25, 2019, 3:43:59 PM3/25/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Here you go

uses ACE, creates a new file and loads in HTML mode...  because it allows code folding you can just pile everything into a single file...  In my own file I'm using a G and g global objects for getting rid of the scope nonsense and copy a slice of the code to either run it locally in the browser or to evaluate it through GAS...  Does just using eval not count lol?