Create Trigger to run script based on conditional formatting

Jessica Estrada

Jan 12, 2022, 3:29:16 PM1/12/22
to Google Apps Script Community
Link to sheet at the end.
I created a script that totals up the number of highlighted cells in a column (highlighted cells are the lowest # in each row).
I created a conditional formatting to automatically highlight the lowest number in each row:
Range = B23:I123
=B23=min(filter($B23:$I23,$B23:$I23>0))

The issue is: all the numbers in the row are not entered at the same time, so the conditional formatting can possibly change when a new cell in that row is filled in. When this happens, row 22 (Rounds Won, where the script is), does not re-run.
Meaning, a cell in one of the columns gets unhighlighted, but the total in row 22 stays the same.

HELP! How can I make it so that row 22 recalculates whenever something changes so that the number of highlighted cells in a column always matches the number in that column in row 22?

Jessica Estrada

Jan 12, 2022, 4:08:58 PM1/12/22
to Google Apps Script Community
Also, yes, I realize this is a silly example to be using but I have other places to use this knowledge that are work related (I'm in revenue ops, so always in excel and sheets!)

Laurie Nason

Jan 13, 2022, 12:31:12 AM1/13/22
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jessica,
Could you not use a helper column/row which actually calculates the value for the column/rows (by all means continue with the conditional formatting!) which you can then use (and hide if not necessary to see)?
Unfortunately, I can't see your spreadsheet to see exactly what you are trying to do.
Laurie

Jessica Estrada

Jan 13, 2022, 10:50:44 AM1/13/22
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I thought I made it so that anyone with the link could edit it - sorry about that! You should be able to get into it now.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-script-community/CA%2BA7ZWKbUYyY%2Bp41wJ%3DNSDc%2BdAm%3DAj4w%2BqLENbMAoJWOuzRjzQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Martin Molloy

Jan 14, 2022, 6:28:24 AM1/14/22
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jessica
I don't know of a way to get a custom formula to recalc automatically.
So, I added a formula in column J to work out the winning score for each row and some formulas in rows 23 & 24 to work out the number of times the player matched the winning score.

That gives you the result without using a custom formula

Laurie Nason

Jan 15, 2022, 11:50:10 PM1/15/22
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jessica,
I second Martin's solution - nice job! And as he said, doesn't need custom formulas at all.
Laurie