Macro in Google sheets

fretta

Jun 27, 2019, 7:57:18 PM6/27/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Is there any way to see the code being written while creating a macro in a Google sheet, in similar fashion as excel where you can see every line of code being created when you click a cell or execute a command inside the worksheet?

Clay Smith

Jun 27, 2019, 8:03:32 PM6/27/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Yes. After you record a script you get the option to edit the script. You can also go to Tools>Script editor to see the macro that was recorded.

Clark Lind

Jun 28, 2019, 2:31:13 PM6/28/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I don't believe "while it is being recorded". I think it writes the macro code to file upon stopping the recording.  What I've done when I want to be able to highlight specific code is simply click on an empty cell and type something unique to look for in the code either before and/or after the feature/function. Stuff like "Start code" and "end code" or whatever. But I don't think so during recording, not via Google. But I did notice at the browser level (developer tools) the activity is being recorded or being sent to Google as you do stuff. Then it sends a final upon "save". So the recording may be held in the browser's memory during recording. But accessing any of it is beyond my skills.

fretta

Jul 5, 2019, 7:20:14 AM7/5/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Yes, what I meant with "while it is being recorded" is what is shown in this video: https://youtu.be/8IreWUk1Al4?t=152

But I like the trick you showed me of clicking an empty cell and typing something (like a bookmark on the code). Also my skills won't allow me to fetch info from the browser's memory either.

Thank you all for your help.