California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) takes effect on January 1, 2020

Steve Webster

Nov 20, 2019, 3:53:07 PM11/20/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I'm just sharing that when we provide app solutions we should consider regulations to adhere to.

Europe has GDPR and now in the U.S. there is a California law that takes affect on January 1, 2020. It's called, "California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)". Here is the home page to learn more: https://www.caprivacy.org/

Here is info from the California Attorney General: https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa

Plus, I found this fact sheet:

With both GDPR and CCPA, if you have consumers (customers) that reside in their respective locations regardless of your location, then you must adhere to their regulations. In fact, the above fact sheet PDF above mentions some cross-over areas.

Here is a snippet from the fact sheet:

The CCPA grants new rights to California consumers
 • The right to know what personal information is collected, used, shared or sold, both as to the categories and specific pieces of personal information;
 • The right to delete personal information held by businesses and by extension, a business’s service provider;
 • The right to opt-out of sale of personal information. Consumers are able to direct a business that sells personal information to stop selling that information. Children under the age of 16 must provide opt in consent, with a parent or guardian consenting for children under 13.
 • The right to non-discrimination in terms of price or service when a consumer exercises a privacy right under CCPA.

The CCPA applies to certain businesses
• Businesses are subject to the CCPA if one or more of the following are true:
  o Has gross annual revenues in excess of $25 million;
  o Buys, receives, or sells the personal information of 50,000 or more consumers, households, or devices;
  o Derives 50 percent or more of annual revenues from selling consumers’ personal information.
• As proposed by the draft regulations, businesses that handle the personal information of more than 4 million consumers will have additional obligations.

Martin Hawksey

Nov 20, 2019, 4:43:08 PM11/20/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
good call Steve ... the joys of being an app developer