Google Sheet Notification for others

Sarah Casper

Jun 12, 2024, 3:08:56 PM (14 days ago) Jun 12
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi all!

I understand that notification rules can be set for yourself for when changes in a shared doc occur.

I am curious how to set a conditional setting for a cell for when a specific change is made, THAT specific individual is alerted. For instance, a shared sheet has a column with a dropdown list of "NAME A" and "NAME B". When someone clicks on that dropdown and chooses "NAME A", I would want them to get the alert that a change, or more appropriately an assignment, has been made concerning them, not me.

TIA!

Keith Andersen

Jun 12, 2024, 3:17:24 PM (14 days ago) Jun 12
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com

Use an onEdit function to get the changed cell then have it send an email notification to the specified person based on the cell range attributed to that person.

Sarah Casper

Jun 13, 2024, 11:58:29 AM (13 days ago) Jun 13
to Google Apps Script Community
Thank you. I am pretty new to this type of coding. Do you have any tips on how I could find the correct code for this?

Keith Andersen

Jun 13, 2024, 12:46:04 PM (13 days ago) Jun 13
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com

Yeah sure. Let me work up an example. Are you familiar with app script code and the editor and such?

My website: https://sites.google.com/view/klaweb/
Passions: God, Family, Scriptures, Learning, Data Management, Google Sheets + App Script and much more!

Sarah Casper

Jun 13, 2024, 1:45:46 PM (13 days ago) Jun 13
to Google Apps Script Community
No, Just learning now for this project for my team. Thanks!

Keith Andersen

Jun 13, 2024, 1:57:15 PM (13 days ago) Jun 13
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com

No problem. I'll work up an example worksheet with short video explaining how it works and how to implement it. You can then decide if it can meet your needs.

However, I'm on short vacation. I can have something by next Thursday if that's ok?

Keith

Edward Friedman (Eddie)

Jun 14, 2024, 11:27:49 AM (12 days ago) Jun 14
to Google Apps Script Community
This can now be done without coding using the newly released Conditional Notifications feature. It can be found under Tools>Conditional notifications. If you don't have access to it yet, you should have it by the second week of July at the latest.

I thought I had seen a writeup on the new feature, but I can't seem to find it. Here is a link to the feature description on the Google Workspace Updates blog

Keith Andersen

Jun 14, 2024, 11:29:34 AM (12 days ago) Jun 14
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com

Awesome Edward! I'm looking forward to that for sure! 👍👍