Trigger not triggered

Adisak

Jan 17, 2023, 7:29:55 AM1/17/23
to Google Apps Script Community
Trigger not triggered onChange event  on google sheet , how to check the error or limitation ?

Marcel Brauner

Jan 17, 2023, 8:10:27 AM1/17/23
to Google Apps Script Community
I recently had the discovery that "small" changes like checkboxes do not trigger the on change. However I recently did something with a dropdown and there it worked. But I am interested if there is some hard facts on when it triggers and when not. My learning was just based on experience :)

Ed Sambuco

Jan 17, 2023, 9:08:48 AM1/17/23
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Check out the Google doc on the Events object:

Adisak

Jan 17, 2023, 10:55:34 AM1/17/23
to Google Apps Script Community
It works appropriately early until 5 pm. it stopped triggering the change event.

Andrew Roberts

Jan 18, 2023, 4:21:12 AM1/18/23
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
"on change" and "on edit" aren't very comprehensive. If picking up all changes is crucial you might want to look at drive push notifications.

Rashid Khan

Jan 25, 2023, 6:30:43 PM1/25/23
to Google Apps Script Community
I have installed onedit trigger in more then 1000 spreadsheets, but some of them do no work. I use those spreadsheets rarely. let say same sheet in edited after 3-5 months and I can see the trigger but it do not trigger.If I install it again and then It starts working.
What could be the reason of this?

CBMServices Web

Jan 25, 2023, 6:41:40 PM1/25/23
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Google regularly uninstalls triggers that are not used in the past x months (I don't know how many months specifically, but I have also had triggers (on form submit mostly) uninstalled and had to go through the authorization for them to re-activate them.

Only way to avoid this is to ensure your triggers are used regularly to avoid them being decommissioned. Other option is to change how you manage the work and reduce the number of triggers you have and ensure those are getting exercised regularly.

 Hope this helps.

Rashid Khan

Jan 25, 2023, 6:46:03 PM1/25/23
to Google Apps Script Community
Thank you

Rashid Khan

Jan 25, 2023, 6:51:33 PM1/25/23
to Google Apps Script Community
If I apply time based trigger let say it runs every 10 or 20 days and reinstall the onedit trigger will it solve the issue?

CBMServices Web

Jan 25, 2023, 7:01:46 PM1/25/23
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
This may work, you can try it and let us know. :-)

 10 to 20 days would be too frequent. I think the decommissioning is for triggers that have not been used in the past 9 or 12 months. So if you do it every 6 months it should be plenty. But if you do have 1000s of spreadsheets, that is a lot of work to list out the 1000s of scripts that need to be re-installed. I would look at reducing the number of spreadsheets you need to trigger from instead to avoid this issue all together.

Rashid Khan

Jan 25, 2023, 7:11:24 PM1/25/23
to Google Apps Script Community
I will try this and will update you.
There are spreadsheets which are not used for 3 months but that triggers are not working so I need to install a trigger of 1 month max.

I can not reduce the numbers of spreadsheet as it has different data and I can not combine it.

Do you have any idea about limitation of installing triggers in a single Gmail account?