Reducing number of drop down entries in google forms

Anuj Saraswat

Aug 20, 2019, 6:17:38 PM8/20/19
to Google Apps Script Community
This question refers specifically to google forms, and the use of their drop down menus.

At the moment, when we have an employee sign in through the forms, they have to choose between over 1000 different building IDs to get to their location.

Is there a way to reduce the number of entries that the employee has to sort through based on what they type into the form?

For example, if they are at building ID 11251, if they were to type in 112, it should remove all buildings that do not contain 112 in their IDs, making it much easier to find the building that they need to sign in at.

Does this feature exist in google forms? If not, is it possible to code something in using the script editor, or will I have to create a brand new page entirely and integrate google forms into there?

I asked the above question in the Google Doc Editors Community, and found out that if the user enters the question, then begins typing, the dropdown will move down the list, assuming they are sorted.

However, this will only work if you are using a computer. If you try to fill out the form on your phone, the keyboard will not pop up when you click on the dropdown menu in the form.

I was just wondering how easy it would be to code a script that will cause your keyboard pop up on your phone when you click on the dropdown question on your phone. Is it possible on google forms?

Michael O'Shaughnessy

Aug 20, 2019, 8:24:29 PM8/20/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Well, AFAIK this is not possible with Google Forms.  However, a few suggestions....
Is there any logical grouping of locations?  If the first question was to pick from say 5 different "large coverage locations" they could be directed to the next question that could have maybe only 200 ids in a dropdown.
Why are they choosing an id?  If they are selecting then they should know it.  Why not just have them enter it into a short answer question?

You can create and serve web pages from GAS using the HtmlService.  You could easily write HTML code or even use jQuery, Angular, or Materialize to create the auto fill in box.
Here is a link that you might find interesting: https://developers.google.com/apps-script/guides/html/

The contents of this message and any attachment(s) are confidential, proprietary to the City of Edmonton, and are intended only for the addressed recipient. If you have received this in error, please disregard the contents, inform the sender of the misdirection, and remove it from your system. The copying, dissemination, or distribution of this message, if misdirected, is strictly prohibited.

Steve Webster

Aug 20, 2019, 10:26:21 PM8/20/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
As Michael O'Shaughnessy stated, I, too, have helped a client who really wanted to use gForms in this way. We had them leverage an add-on to help manage and populate those drop-downs as well. A web app or App Maker solution may be a better option. My G Suite automation company, SW gApps LLC, offers a 1-hour free consult, if you are interested. Visit www.swgapps.com to learn more and contact us.

Kind Regards,

Steve Webster
SW gApps LLC, President
Google Product Expert in: Google Apps Script, Drive, and Docs
Google Vendor (2012-2013) || Google Apps Developer Blog Guest Blogger
Add-ons: Text gBlaster and Remove Blank Rows