Event onInstall is not fired anymore for new Forms add-on installation?

Hoang Trinh

Jan 12, 2020, 10:55:36 PM1/12/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi everyone,

Recently, I noticed that onInstall event is not fired anymore for new Google Forms add-on installation (not sure if it happens for Docs or Sheets add-ons)

This affects my add-on quite a lot. Because in my add-on, I used onInstall event for some tasks:
1. Send welcome email to user's email
2. Create user record in database
3. Check referral bonus (if has)

So is there anyone noticed this issue as well? And what is your solution if you need to do some tasks when user installed the add-on?

Thank you.

Hoang Trinh

Jan 12, 2020, 10:56:35 PM1/12/20
to Google Apps Script Community
I found the issue reported here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/147016387

Luckily I'm not the only one. So hopefully Google will solve this issue soon

Alan Wells

Jan 13, 2020, 8:59:38 AM1/13/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Do you have any error handling in your onInstall() function?
If so, do you have an error message?
You can add a try/catch and use Stackdriver and add a console.error(e) line in the catch block.
Stackdriver error logging doesn't need authorization from the user in order to work.  Before the user has installed the add-on, it's not authorized.

Hoang Trinh

Jan 14, 2020, 9:19:58 PM1/14/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Thank you for your information.

This issue is confirmed by Google team https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/147016387

So at the moment, we just need to wait

Ihor Stefurak

Jan 16, 2020, 2:53:16 PM1/16/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Thanks for submitting the issue, Hoang. I was looking for a problem during the week. Now I know it's because of this 'onInstall' issue. I hope to get it fixed by the Google Team as soon as possible.

Hoang Trinh

Jan 16, 2020, 9:17:14 PM1/16/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Actually I'm not the one who submitted the issue :)
But thank you for letting me know that you also have this issue. That means the issue affects many users and Google might fix it sooner

Ihor Stefurak

Jan 17, 2020, 4:30:54 AM1/17/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I hope to get it fixed soon too. I've also comment below the topic you linked to.