ECMAScript 2017 scripting-language specification

Raul Flores, Jr.

Apr 6, 2019, 5:56:58 PM4/6/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I don't know about you, but I am so so happy to hear that support for modern javascript is appearing. You should see a prompt when in the online editor; I can hardly wait.

At an event Wed in Dallas called "Build with ALL of Google Cloud (GCP + G Suite)," WESLEY CHUN (@wescpy) [ engineer & Developer Advocate at Google focused on Google Cloud and a lot else ] said it's been in beta ever since last year's announcement. He confirmed they were using Rhino and it was getting long in the tooth.

It's a joy and relief to see this happen. If it means a move to V8, that should deliver the ten-fold speed improvement alluded to last year.

So, for Business and Enterprise who I believe get up to 30min executions, that's a massive lift in making apps script an even better tool.

Wonderful to hear confirmation.

Also, this means time to trade refactoring notes here and there - best practice links or talks requested/suggested.

Cheers my friends in this fun space,

"rudy"

PS I haven't seen any release notes for March or April, so I guess this is to sync with upcoming events.

Adam Morris

Apr 6, 2019, 8:09:06 PM4/6/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I'm also looking forward, but without that target runtime the best preparation might be to just use modern javascript in a browser context.

————————————————————————————

Adam Morris | IT Systems & English Teacher | IGB International School
Jalan Sierramas Utama, Sierramas,
47000 Sungai Buloh, Selangor DE, Malaysia

t    +60 3 6145 4688
f    +60 3 6145 4600
w   www.igbis.edu.my
e    adam....@igbis.edu.my

————————————————————————————

At an event Wed in Dallas called "Build with ALL of Google Cloud (GCP + G Suite)," WESLEY CHUN (@wescpy) [ engineer & Developer Advocate at Google focused on Google Cloud and a lot else ] said it's been in beta ever since it last year's announcement. He confirmed they were using Rhino and it was getting long in the tooth.

It's a joy and relief to see this happen. If it means a move to V8, that should deliver the ten-fold speed improvement alluded to last year.

So, for Business and Enterprise who I believe get up to 30min executions, that's a massive lift in making apps script an even better tool.

Wonderful to hear confirmation.

Also, this means time to trade refactoring notes here and there - best practice links or talks requested/suggested.

Cheers my friends in this fun space,

"rudy"

PS I haven't seen any release notes for March or April, so I guess this is to sync with upcoming events.

Dimu Designs

Apr 7, 2019, 8:58:10 AM4/7/19
to Google Apps Script Community
If you're new to ES6 then the following links should help:
One thing I'm curious about the upcoming upgrade is the use of Promises and other asynchronous constructs. I assume Apps Script will continue to execute synchronously, so I doubt the upgrade will support them (outside of client-side script generated via HtmlService). Thoughts?

Adam Morris

Apr 7, 2019, 9:24:33 AM4/7/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
There was a message from a google on the libraries thread that — from my read — that the context isn’t changing, not a browser context. Sounded like changing that would break backward compatibility. So, no promises or async.