How to import data in XLS format for Google Sheets with AppScrips?

Ricardo Luiz A. Pimentel Oliveira

Apr 27, 2020, 11:43:25 AM4/27/20
to Google Apps Script Community

I'm having a hard time automating the update of reports in Google Sheets using data from Excel. The only solution I found was to use plug-ins like (Sheetsgo), however as it is a Corporate project the budget is restricted, so in no way could I indicate a solution using a Script in Google Sheets?

Thank you all!

Alan Wells

Apr 27, 2020, 11:59:47 AM4/27/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Sorry to hear about the restricted Corporate budget.  Please express my sympathies to upper management and the shareholders.  Have you thought about doing some fund raising?  You could organize your fellow co-workers to bake cookies, and have the children sell them in school.
I'm just trying to think about how to help you out.

If you can provide some details, I'm sure someone could provide some information.  There are probably many steps in your process, and literally millions of things that could go wrong.  We can't know every possible difficulty that you are having.  Can you get the data from Excel to Sheets?

Darren D'Mello

Apr 27, 2020, 12:06:36 PM4/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
If possible you can share the XLS file sample.

Steve Webster

Apr 27, 2020, 12:26:45 PM4/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
There are a couple of ways to handle this. One method we have used with a customer is the common denominator of CSV format.

The workflow would be export from EXCEL to CSV file, and then have an Apps Script open that file, convert to array, filter and if conditions and then update existing Google spreadsheet rows and columns. Tip: you can skip the step of converting the entire Excel to Google Sheets and then filter and if conditions -- by reading CSV into an array.

More specifically, the Excel could have a VBA script to export the CSV, have it stored in a shared Drive folder, and then an Apps Script looks via a timed trigger to look for the new CSV file.

Kind Regards,

Steve Webster
SW gApps LLC, President
GDE (Google Developer Expert)
Google Product Expert in: Google Apps Script, Drive, and Docs
Google Vendor (2012-2013) || Google Apps Developer Blog Guest Blogger
Add-ons: Text gBlaster

Ricardo Luiz A. Pimentel Oliveira

Apr 27, 2020, 4:14:42 PM4/27/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Hello!
thanks for your comment, the situation is really unfortunate, hahahahaha.
But to be more specific:
Currently the data is extracted daily from an ERP directly to a folder in Excel format, however I need to use the data in a Google spreadsheet to then present the views in Data Studio, however I need to keep the data up to date and I need to automate this activity update data on Google spreadsheets.

Thanks again!

Ricardo Luiz A. Pimentel Oliveira

Ricardo Luiz A. Pimentel Oliveira

Apr 27, 2020, 4:18:49 PM4/27/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi Webster,
thanks for the tip, i will try again with a CSV file.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 12:06 PM Darren D'Mello <miscellan...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Alan Wells

Apr 27, 2020, 4:20:39 PM4/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I don't work with Excel or Data Studio, so hopefully someone else can help.

Ricardo Luiz A. Pimentel Oliveira

Apr 27, 2020, 4:22:24 PM4/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com

Martin Molloy

Apr 27, 2020, 5:17:38 PM4/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Sheetgo would cost you $228 a year. My Sheets add-on will do this for you. It costs $144 a year. (and it's better - but I'm biased)  It's called SheetsIE if you want to give it a try.

Martin

Salani, Nicola

Apr 28, 2020, 1:59:43 AM4/28/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com