external email "name" overriding internal email "name"

Joseph Sanders

Jul 22, 2019, 8:07:51 AM7/22/19
to GAM for G Suite
Our Superintendent is using a home computer (which apparently his wife also uses and has her personal email account setup on it) to login to his school gmail account and send emails.  For some reason, when he sends an email from his school account, even though his name is correct in the google admin consoile and his email settings, his wifes name shows up as the senders name.  So for example, if his email was bd...@ourwebsite.com and his name was Bob Doe, it would show that "Janet Doe" was the persons name that send the email (but it would still send the email from bd...@ourwebsite.com)

Is there a way using GAM to force out of everyones contacts every instance of "Janet Doe" and replace it with "Bob Doe"

Thanks in advance

Ian Crew

Jul 22, 2019, 9:40:02 AM7/22/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Yes—see

(You’ll have to iterate through all users to do this update...)

Cheers,

Ian

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor
University of California, Berkeley

Joseph Sanders

Jul 22, 2019, 7:17:18 PM7/22/19
to GAM for G Suite
I am probably completely overlooking it, but I do not see anything in that link that does what I am looking for.

Here is the scenario:

Superintendents name is  Bob Doe

His Wifes name is Janet Doe and i have no idea what her email is.

Bob Doe is at home on his wifes computer and sends an email through his work account (bd...@ourwebsite.com) to an employee jsan...@ourwebsite.com

Joe Sanders receives the email, however, the from "name" that displays instead of the email address says "Janet Doe" instead of "Bob Doe". If you check to see what email address sent the email, it was in fact sent from bd...@ourwebsite.com

Now people are replying to his emails and his email always show up for people as "Janet Doe" instead of "Bob Doe"

I am not understanding the following:

1.  How did his name "Bob" get replaced with Janet? Janet is nowhere in any of our systems.

2.  How do I remove every instance of "Janet Doe" in any and all contacts on our system?

3.  Is there a way to force the name that is displayed for bd...@ourwebsite.com to always show as Bob Doe, even if someone saves it different in their contact list?

I hope that clarifies what I am trying to do, and I apologize if you were clear the first time and I just cant seem to find the solution.

Thanks in advance!

Bri Hatch

Jul 23, 2019, 12:29:47 AM7/23/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
My experience is that gmail likes to trust the name that is in the 'to' line. It works its way into contacts, and it's very sticky.

For example if "Chris Doe <cd...@example.com>" changes their name to "Chris Foo <cd...@example.com>", then cdoe@ will autocomplete to the Chris Doe variant for folks who've corresponded with them unless the contact is removed.

In some cases of name changes we've used gam to delete the contact from all accounts in hopes it would help, with decent results. Of course an external party could email w/ the old name and get it all started again....

Bri Hatch, Systems and Security Engineer. http://www.ifokr.org/bri/

Mike Beane

Jul 23, 2019, 8:13:45 AM7/23/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
It has been verified that Bob is NOT using a 3rd party mail client, correct?

Also, this only occurs from the use of the home computer and no other computer?

+KimNilsson

Jul 23, 2019, 9:30:20 AM7/23/19
to GAM for G Suite
@Joseph,

using GAMADV-XTD3, I think this is a syntax that'd work for you.

gam all users delete contacts emailmatchpattern "bd...@ourwebsite.com"

To verify, you could first do a print.

gam all users print contacts emailmatchpattern "bd...@ourwebsite.com"

If you want to speed it up, you can run as multiprocess, and limit to staff, and send it as a Google Sheets file, for you to verify first.

gam config auto_batch_min 1 redirect csv ./UsersBDoe.csv multiprocess ou_and_children_ns /Path/to/Staff/OUs print contacts emailmatchpattern "bd...@ourwebsite.com" todrive

If you're happy with the results, then you run the delete.

gam config auto_batch_min 1 redirect csv ./UsersBDoe.csv multiprocess ou_and_children_ns /Path/to/Staff/OUs delete contacts emailmatchpattern "bd...@ourwebsite.com"

If you don't want to wait for it to do the entire export again, you could instead use the resulting csv file. Much faster. :-)

gam csv UsersBDoe.csv gam user ~User delete contacts ~ContactID