Can GAM verify a User's Credentials?

Ryan London

Sep 14, 2015, 3:23:36 PM9/14/15
to Google Apps Manager
I work for a school detract that uses Google Apps for Education, and I'm seeing an alarming number of instances where a user's password is reset via GAM, but doesn't reset properly and thus the user can no longer log in. (I think the problem's on Google's end. Just a gut feeling)

The thing is that I'm using a "Reset the student's password whenever they move, just to make sure it's right" approach. We had problems in the past with students changing their password, but not using email very much, then moving to another school/class where the teacher had them use email a lot and they couldn't log in. So I decided to reset it every time they move.

It would be much better if there was a way to check the password first. So,I'm wondering if there is a way to have GAM go to google and say "Hey Google, is johnysmith's password 'blablabla'?" In other words, is there a GAM command that will verify a user's credentials?

Just to be clear, I don't want to try and read the password from Google, I know the password is read-only. I just want a Yes/No answer to the question of, "Does this password go to this user?"

If there was a way of verifying credentials, I could check to see if the student's password is right in the first place, and reset it if need be. (Then check again to make sure the password reset properly.)

I did read the 'Confirm login credentials for multiple users.' thread, which didn't really help. Not to mention that it hasn't been updated since 8/20/12.

Thank you.