pulling contact info to update Exchange GAL

Susan McClure

Feb 25, 2019, 7:16:39 PM2/25/19
to GAM for G Suite
We are trying to use calendar interop settings, and allow our Google users and Exchange users to be able to see Free/Busy information on a user's calendar.  Unfortunately, all our users have the same Email domain address (@abcxyz.edu)

So, we need to create a Mail Contact group in Exchange that has all the GAL (Global Address List) info for all our users.
We need to get their Google:
  • firstname
  • lastname
  • alias (es)
  • email address
  • Nickname
What gam command can I use to pull that info for all ACTIVE users only ?  I want to dump it to a drive file, and then use it on the Exchange side.

I have tried various commands but have failed to get the full information and fields that I need

gam print aliases
gam print users gal
gam print info users

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Eric Dannewitz

Feb 25, 2019, 7:44:04 PM2/25/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn’t it be easier to use G Suite Sync for Microsoft® Outlook?

Ross Scroggs

Feb 25, 2019, 9:59:15 PM2/25/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Susan.

gam print users name aliases > users.csv
Where are you seeing Nickname in the admin console; it is not a field in the API.
If you know of a user with a nickname do the following and post the lines that show nickname: gam info user us...@domain.com

Ross

Susan K. McClure

Feb 26, 2019, 11:15:55 AM2/26/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, Ross Scroggs, mharris

Ross,

Thanks, that gam command works to give me the fields I need!

I was incorrect, I don't need Nickname.  What I really need is "Display Name" in Exchange.  It seems I could
populate that with the "name.fullName" field from the users.csv.

Follow up question:  Eric Dannewitz suggested using the G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook instead.
  https://support.google.com/a/answer/166870?hl=en

I checked, and we DO have Directory => Contact sharing, enabled in G suite.

Looking at some individual users (gam info user xx...@domain.com ) I do see "Included in GAL : True "

So, is there a preferred way to populate the Exchange OU for the Google Contacts?
And, going forward, is there a preferred way to keep current user info Synced between G Suite and the
Exchange OU for the Google Contacts?

Thanks for any recommendations you can share, based on your experiences.

Susie

Susan K. McClure
Sr. Systems Administrator
Office of Information Technology
Rice University
(o) 713.348.4852
(e) smcc...@rice.edu

Susan K. McClure

Feb 26, 2019, 11:58:20 AM2/26/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, Ross Scroggs, mharris
Ross,

One more question. Looking at the output users.csv
I find many users there, that are "Account Suspended: True"

Users that were suspended, but not yet deleted from G Suite.
Is there an option I can use on the gam command to NOT include anyone that
is Suspended ? Or even exclude anyone that "Last login time: Never"

If it means some kind of cleanup of these types of users from the GAL
beforehand, please
let me know that.

(sorry for all the questions. I am a newbie to GAM )

Thanks
Susie
----- Message from "Susan K. McClure" <smcc...@rice.edu> ---------
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:15:46 -0600
From: "Susan K. McClure" <smcc...@rice.edu>
Subject: Re: [GAM] pulling contact info to update Exchange GAL
To: google-ap...@googlegroups.com, Ross Scroggs
<ross.s...@gmail.com>
Cc: mharris <mha...@rice.edu>

----- End message from "Susan K. McClure" <smcc...@rice.edu> -----

+KimNilsson

Mar 4, 2019, 4:05:32 AM3/4/19
to GAM for G Suite
Susan, add issuspended false to your print command.