User / claim ownership performance

Brian

May 8, 2019, 10:52:45ā€ÆAM5/8/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hello GAM fam! Over a few months, I used rclone to sync about 100TB of data into a shared G Suite [My] Drive folder -- not Team Drive, due to object limit -- and for the sake of saving time I used 6 or 7 different accounts to upload it. Because it's a My Drive folder, this means that each file / folder has a distinct owner, which poses a few problems:

- If I delete a service account from the domain, the data it owns will be deleted, too.
- In order to sync with max. accuracy, some items need data to be deleted. Only the file owner can do this, so I need all 100TB under one owner.
- The object count is in the order of the millions.

At this time, I am running the command gam user new....@foo.bar claim ownership [highLevelFolderID]. I'm watching the output and it is definitely doing its job! However, it's doing it kind of slowly.

I'm running it from a remote machine so will have 100% uptime, but I am curious if there is a way to improve its performance by running the command concurrently from several GAM installations for my domain, maybe spacing them out in different subfolders of the data. Moreover, would I need additional client IDs / auths?

If anyone has experience / suggestions / ideas for this effort, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Brian

Steve Larsen

May 8, 2019, 6:57:00ā€ÆPM5/8/19
to Google Apps Manager
Why not let Google handle the ownership change of all the temp service account files?

gam user old...@domain.com transfer drive new...@domain.com

Brian

May 9, 2019, 9:32:13ā€ÆAM5/9/19
to GAM for G Suite
Good call, Steve, I failed to touch on that part (as I had originally considered using the UI to transfer ownership). I have used the service accounts for a few smaller unrelated transfers on the way, but could cutover that data to another owner easily. Unfortunately, in my eagerness to haul the data onto Drive I did include an rclone remote with my own domain account amongst the service accounts, meaning I own some of the data in the 100TB volume. I'd have a whole lot of files to clear out of the way before I could transfer all of the My Drive data from that account.

I dunno, I guess I'm just thinking out loud at this point. I'll start the claim ownership job on a headless machine and see how long it takes to claim ten million or so files. Is there an option for that command that removes the role preservation step? That would probably halve the amount of time and operations needed. Either way, it'll pan out I'm sure.

Thanks!

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 9:52 AM Brian <bsilver...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Steve - DynTech

May 9, 2019, 3:30:18ā€ÆPM5/9/19
to GAM for G Suite
On your claim ownership command you can also pass the retainrole none flag to remove the owner as an editor.

Brian Silverstein

May 9, 2019, 3:56:25ā€ÆPM5/9/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant, thank you! I had seen that part of the wiki a while ago when I was still exploring options but totally forgot where it was. The noretentionmessages piece is also hugely helpful for the logging side of things. I do wonder if retainrole none makes the command take less time between objects, but I will see how it goes. Appreciate the nod in the right direction.

Brian