installing issues on a pixelbook

Jonas Lund

Nov 8, 2019, 5:42:40 AM11/8/19
to GAM for G Suite
Keep getting this

tar (child): xz: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
ERROR: extracting the GAM archive with tar failed with error 2. Exiting.

any clues?

I know it worked before to install on a pixelbook

Jay Lee

Nov 8, 2019, 6:33:43 AM11/8/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
The Crostini environment is pretty bare to begin with. Try running:

sudo apt install xz python3

First and then rerunning the GAM install script.

Jay

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Jonas Lund

Nov 8, 2019, 11:40:11 AM11/8/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the response and support.

Tried what you suggested and did get the following message:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xz

Jay Lee

Nov 8, 2019, 12:05:13 PM11/8/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
bah, should do a:

sudo apt update

first before the apt install....

Jonas Lund

Nov 8, 2019, 12:11:03 PM11/8/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to say it did not help. Still getting:

E: Unable to locate package xz

Jay Lee

Nov 8, 2019, 12:14:56 PM11/8/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Try replacing xz with xz-utils.

Jay

Jonas Lund

Nov 8, 2019, 12:21:49 PM11/8/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
That did the trick. Thank you so much.

All the best

Jay Lee

Nov 8, 2019, 12:25:59 PM11/8/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Beginnings of a Wiki article. Would appreciate a critical eye:

I'd like to get one up for Android also. I have no issues running GAM on my Pixel 2 with Userland these days either.

Jay

Jay Lee

Nov 8, 2019, 1:32:30 PM11/8/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Android instructions for those who are curious. The ARM GAM builds should be more stable and up to date now that Travis can build the arm64 / aarch64 binaries.