Would developing a G Suite Marketplace app for GAM be useful?

Connor Gibson

May 20, 2019, 6:10:04 PM5/20/19
to GAM for G Suite
Would developing a G Suite Marketplace app for GAM be useful?

IT/development novice here, please be nice :)

As I understand it, the G Suite marketplace allows domain admins to have a one-click install for cloud platform projects on their domain. Wouldn't creating a GAM marketplace app allow domain admins to quickly and easily install and configure GAM's APIs and account authorization, etc. from the domain admin console, simplifying CLI client setup? Admins would have the ability to delegate GAM access to their team as a group, and could enable/disable APIs on a per-user basis, right?

This seems like a fairly simple and obvious improvement - is there some reason why this wouldn't be useful? Or would making this the standard domain-side setup (retaining the current oauth create workflow as the "advanced" setup) be detrimental somehow?

I think creating this sort of thing would be a good skill builder for me - is this a good project to pursue?

Cheers!
--Connor Gibson

Eric Dannewitz

May 20, 2019, 6:14:38 PM5/20/19
to 'James SEYMOUR' via GAM for G Suite
I think that is a bad idea.

Eric Dannewitz
Technology Assistant/District Tech
Acalanes Union High School District
District Office Technology Department

Jay Lee

May 20, 2019, 6:54:23 PM5/20/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

  Let's keep it constructive and positive please.

Connor,

  It's an interesting idea. There are hurdles to overcome though, GAM is an installed app on your computer/server, not a hosted web app like most Marketplace apps. For starters we'd need to confirm installed apps are compatible with the Marketplace terms of service.

Jay

Connor Gibson

May 20, 2019, 7:28:01 PM5/20/19
to GAM for G Suite
Thanks Jay – I'm fairly familiar with using and setting up the GAM client (I've used it to manage student accounts as an assistant tech while in high school) - the sort of app I'm talking about would basically be a package of APIs and OAuth credentials that G Suite admins can quickly install for some or all users/admins on their domain. If G Suite Marketplace apps do what I think they do, an admin could enable the app for their domain and essentially cut out all of the fairly involved API/OAuth setup on client install.

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:54:23 PM UTC-7, Jay Lee wrote:
Eric,

  Let's keep it constructive and positive please.

Connor,

  It's an interesting idea. There are hurdles to overcome though, GAM is an installed app on your computer/server, not a hosted web app like most Marketplace apps. For starters we'd need to confirm installed apps are compatible with the Marketplace terms of service.

Jay

On Mon, May 20, 2019, 6:14 PM Eric Dannewitz <edann...@auhsdschools.org> wrote:
I think that is a bad idea.

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 3:10 PM Connor Gibson <con...@gibsonfive.com> wrote:
[...]

+KimNilsson

May 21, 2019, 5:40:19 AM5/21/19
to GAM for G Suite
That's where GAT+ steps in.

+KimNilsson

May 21, 2019, 5:41:18 AM5/21/19
to GAM for G Suite

+KimNilsson

May 21, 2019, 5:42:39 AM5/21/19
to GAM for G Suite
And the suite of tools from AmplifiedIT.

+KimNilsson

May 21, 2019, 5:44:16 AM5/21/19
to GAM for G Suite
And what was once called WebGAM, now GSuiteDM.

+KimNilsson

May 21, 2019, 5:46:39 AM5/21/19
to GAM for G Suite
If neither of those tools prices excite you, Martin Molloy has also created a bunch of tools that does away with the terminal commands, often to waaaay lower prices, or even free.

Steve Larsen

May 21, 2019, 2:06:38 PM5/21/19
to Google Apps Manager
Connor - I have thought a very similar thing. Rather than running this as a Marketplace App though my thought was to create a Google Cloud Marketplace deployment that customers would initialise within their own GCP infrastructure, much like they would with a WordPress (click to deploy) option now.