GAM - Transfer Ownership of Recurring Event

Mason

May 26, 2020, 2:18:30 PM5/26/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hi GAM Experts,

I'm trying to transfer an abandoned Calendar Event from one user to another. Through searching these forums I found:

gam calendar us...@example.com move event id sald23jdiosa21o3j to us...@example.com

This command works perfectly and will transfer the ownership of the event. However, when I try to do the same thing with a recurring event the command fails with the error message:

Move Failed: Cannot change the organizer of an instance.

I tried to edit the original command by adding recurring event id

gam calendar us...@example.com move recurring event id sald23jdiosa21o3j to us...@example.com

However, it still fails. Am I missing something here, or are recurring events not transferable?

Thanks,

Ross Scroggs

May 26, 2020, 4:11:45 PM5/26/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Mason,

Yes, recurring events are transferable;your original command is correct:
gam calendar us...@example.com move event id sald23jdiosa21o3j to us...@example.com
What the error message is telling you is that the event id you gave was that of one of the instances of the event, not the id of the master event.

How did you get the event id?

If you have received this email in error, please let me know by return email so I can make sure it doesn't happen again. Because emails can contain confidential and privileged material, I'd ask for your help by deleting it and any attachments. Thanks!

We like to keep people up to date with information about new products and services at ATB or changes that could affect you. You can check out more about ATB and CASL at http://www.atb.com/important-information/privacy-security/Pages/ATB-and-CASL.aspx

Mason

May 26, 2020, 6:19:03 PM5/26/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Ross,

I used the calendar debugging URL:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/r?gsessionid=OK&eventdeb=1

Sorry, that event ID I provided is just random text. How do I get the master event ID?

Thanks,

On May 26, 2020, at 11:18 AM, Mason <mw...@atb.com> wrote:

[...]

Ross Scroggs

May 26, 2020, 6:32:29 PM5/26/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Mason,

gam calendar user@example show events matchfield summary "Put Event Summary Here"

Ross

If you have received this email in error, please let me know by return email so I can make sure it doesn't happen again. Because emails can contain confidential and privileged material, I'd ask for your help by deleting it and any attachments. Thanks!

We like to keep people up to date with information about new products and services at ATB or changes that could affect you. You can check out more about ATB and CASL at http://www.atb.com/important-information/privacy-security/Pages/ATB-and-CASL.aspx

Mason

May 27, 2020, 10:20:01 AM5/27/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Ross,

Thanks for this, greatly appreciated!

If you have received this email in error, please let me know by return email so I can make sure it doesn't happen again. Because emails can contain confidential and privileged material, I'd ask for your help by deleting it and any attachments. Thanks!

We like to keep people up to date with information about new products and services at ATB or changes that could affect you. You can check out more about ATB and CASL at http://www.atb.com/important-information/privacy-security/Pages/ATB-and-CASL.aspx

Ross Scroggs

Tom Spis

Dec 13, 2021, 3:27:50 PM12/13/21
to GAM for Google Workspace
Hi Ross,

First off, apologies for reviving an old thread.

It seems like the above-mentioned command no longer works - I'm getting a 'move is not a valid argument for "gam calendar"' when I try to run it.

Has it been removed from GAM?

Ross Scroggs

Dec 13, 2021, 3:47:47 PM12/13/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

That is an error message from Standard GAM, it does not support moving events; that requires Advanced GAM.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GAM for Google Workspace" group.

Ronald Nissley

Feb 1, 2022, 5:21:29 PM2/1/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Resurrecting this again... Using GAMADV-XTD3 6.15.02, I retrieved a recurring event ID using the suggested matchfield summary query and tried the command form:
gam calendar shared_ca...@group.calendar.google.com move recurring event id recurringEventId to dest_user...@domain.tld
Partial command/error output:
"move >>>recurring<<< event id recurringEventId to dest_user...@domain.tld

ERROR: Invalid choice (recurring): Expected <event>"

Color me confused...and probably missing something painfully obvious. 😳😊
Message has been deleted

Ronald Nissley

Feb 1, 2022, 11:48:30 PM2/1/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
nvm...I misunderstood a previous response from Ross to mean gam calendar...move recurring event... is correct syntax. It isn't. As the error indicates, recurring is invalid. I was also incorrectly using a recurring event instance ID, which might look something like u8n0fbn0i6n86nduvhjf19c9pc_R20220201T150000. It took me a bit to correctly guess that the id for the master event is the same as an instance ID but omits the underscore separator and date/time specifier. For the pseudo example instance ID provided, the master event ID would be u8n0fbn0i6n86nduvhjf19c9pc.
Now on to tackle a "You need to have writer access to both calendars" error. Oddly, this is for a recurring event which I already moved (e.g. from org_shared_calendarATgroupDOTcalendarDOTgoogleDOTcom to user_calendarATdomainDOTtld) and now I'm trying to move back to the original calendar.

Ronald Nissley

Feb 2, 2022, 11:37:04 AM2/2/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Now on to tackle a "You need to have writer access to both calendars" error. Oddly, this is for a recurring event which I already moved (e.g. from org_shared_calendarATgroupDOTcalendarDOTgoogleDOTcom to user_calendarATdomainDOTtld) and now I'm trying to move back to the original calendar.

I didn't find this exactly intuitive, but the user (owner of user_calendarATdomainDOTtld in my example) required writer access on the org/non-primary shared calendar.

JS

May 24, 2023, 12:07:42 PM5/24/23
to GAM for Google Workspace
Is this possible to do for suspended users? I know Google allows this functionality via the Calendar API - https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2016/09/manage-your-suspended-users-google-calendars.html

However, when I try to run this command on a suspended user, I get this error

The user must be signed up for Google Calendar.

After re-activating the user and enabling the Calendar service for them, I still get the same error.

Erik Lentz

May 25, 2023, 8:51:31 PM5/25/23
to GAM for Google Workspace
Seeing the same issue when a user is suspended:

The user must be signed up for Google Calendar.

John Nguyen

Feb 1, 2024, 9:43:16 PMFeb 1
to GAM for Google Workspace
Same issue for a suspended user. Did anyone find a work around?