Send password reset link with GAM

Sergio Alvarez

Jan 25, 2022, 3:59:21 PMJan 25
to GAM for Google Workspace
Hi,

I was wondering as I was not able to see it in the documentation if there is a way for GAM to send a password reset link to end-users. This is not a password reset that I know can be done with

gam update user ~email_address password ~password

but to send the email with the URL so that the user can set the new password automatically?

Sergio Alvarez

Jan 25, 2022, 5:08:51 PMJan 25
to GAM for Google Workspace
Closest solution that I can find is:

gam update user <email> password random notify <AlternateEmail> changepassword true

that will update the password to a random password and then set the change password to true, requesting the user to update the password after first login and login out the user. But if we can instead of using that command send the password reset link, that would be more than useful.

Regards

Kim Nilsson

Jan 28, 2022, 4:11:07 AMJan 28
to GAM for Google Workspace
Actually, your solution is a good one.

But you could also instead force a password change, and the user will immediately be taken to the password reset place.

gam update user <email> changepassword true

Sergio Alvarez

Jan 30, 2022, 5:24:39 PMJan 30
to GAM for Google Workspace
Hi,

Thanks for the follow-up, it works to some extent, the main problem is that these users do not have the Google password because they are using SSO, So We would need to let them know in someway the password to use, seems like this method does require the google password first. but thank you very much

Kim Nilsson

Jan 30, 2022, 6:05:01 PMJan 30
to Google Apps Manager
Oh, then you shouldn't at all use any of this.
You should force a password change in the source system.

Changing the Google password, and not the source password, will only mess things up.

Sergio Alvarez

Jan 30, 2022, 6:07:49 PMJan 30
to GAM for Google Workspace
Thank you very much for the help !