Updating Directory Info for user

Don Beck

Jul 21, 2021, 12:37:14 PM7/21/21
to GAM for Google Workspace
I am trying to change some of the directory info for a user.
I ran the following to get a file with all fileds

gam user <us...@domain.com> print users allfields todrive

I took that file, made changes that I wanted and then tried to update user with this command

gam csv <userupdate.csv> gam update user <us...@domain.com>

tells me no changes?

Jay Lee

Jul 21, 2021, 12:41:37 PM7/21/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
The gam update command needs to know what fields should be updated and where to pull the values from the CSV. What are you trying to update? Take a look at the wiki:

PLEASE NOTE
The information in this E-Mail message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above.  If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-mail message.  If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender. Thank you!

Don Beck

Jul 21, 2021, 12:57:46 PM7/21/21
to GAM for Google Workspace
Tryng to update info i the Employer Info section
Manager's email
Department
Cost Center
Message has been deleted

Ross Scroggs

Jul 27, 2021, 3:55:19 PM7/27/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

This command will fail in Basic GAM because the primary|notprimary keyword is missing; it will work in Advanced GAM.
gam csv <source.csv> gam update user "~Email" relations manager "~Manager's email" organization department "~Department" costcenter "~Cost Center"
You want::
gam csv <source.csv> gam update user "~Email" relations manager "~Manager's email" organization department "~Department" costcenter "~Cost Center" primary

Ross

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 12:10 PM Mark Skrzypczyk <ma...@kheironmed.com> wrote:
I did a domain wide update for users where I work last week using a CSV created from our HR system.

As Jay mentioned above after calling the CSV you then need to say which fields in the CSV need to be used for which fields.
It gets a bit "messy" when doing managers and departments etc. as they're a little buried!

The API reference gives some pointers: https://github.com/taers232c/GAMADV-XTD3/wiki/Users

To update those 3 fields you need to do:

gam csv <source.csv> gam update user "~Email" relations manager "~Manager's email" organization department "~Department" costcenter "~Cost Center"

You may need to update the various field references for the CSV to suit whatever is in your sheet. Double-quotes might also not be needed, I use them on my own Mac as zsh complains otherwise ;P

Kheiron Medical Technologies

kheironmed.com | supporting radiologists with deep learning

Kheiron Medical Technologies Ltd. is a registered company in England and Wales. This e-mail and its attachment(s) are intended for the above named only and are confidential. If they have come to you in error then you must take no action based upon them but contact us immediately. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. Although this e-mail and its attachments are believed to be free of any virus, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free. If you contact us by e-mail then we will store your name and address to facilitate communications. Any statements contained herein are those of the individual and not the organisation.

Registered number: 10184103. Registered office: 2nd Floor Stylus Building, 116 Old Street, London, England, EC1V 9BG

Mark Skrzypczyk

Jul 28, 2021, 4:18:23 AM7/28/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Good point Ross! Forgot I'm on GAM-ADV, although TBH I didn't start setting up these more complex commands until I'd swapped over :) Thanks for flagging.

Mark

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GAM for Google Workspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-manager/CAJkvRS-k-vS%2B%3DHtFktqqV7MXd8G1pHBWToSU%2BYG9Nm0G%2Bfh2RA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Many thanks,

Mark

Mark Skrzypczyk

Desktop Support Engineer | Kheiron Medical Technologies
kheironmed.com | supporting radiologists with deep learning