Guardians state COMPLETE

Mr. L.

Apr 3, 2020, 4:45:04 AM4/3/20
to GAM for G Suite
We are adding parents (guardians) to student accounts to use it as a communication tool.
Because of troubles with different mailboxes, spam, changes in the emailadresses, ...

For the students we created an account (@student.school.com)
For the parents we created an account (@parent.school.com)

Everything is managed with GAM, but when I add the guardians, there state is still pending.
Is there a way to set the state to complete ?

Jay Lee

Apr 3, 2020, 8:34:45 AM4/3/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Guardians are not typically members of your G Suite domain (or likely even Google accounts at all). They're external email addresses. It sounds like you decided to create G Suite accounts for all of your parents which is going to require more work for you (to manage accounts and password resets) and more work for the parents (to check the accounts).

To answer your question, no, there is no way to change the state to complete except for the guardian account to accept the invitation.

A better way to do this would probably be to make it easy for parents to update the parent/guardian contact information themselves and ensure that these changes are immediately synced to Google and any other systems you have (teacher lists, etc). This puts the burden on parents to maintain the information. Some of course won't keep it up to date (just like some will never check the parent.school.com account you created) but at least the responsibilities are clearly defined here.

Jay Lee

Mr. L.

Apr 3, 2020, 8:39:35 AM4/3/20
to GAM for G Suite
Thanks for the respons!

I'm aware of the extra work. But then I know I can fix it (a link between administrationprogram and GAM)..