Secondary domains and email addresses

Justin H

Jul 1, 2022, 10:17:34 AM7/1/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
I'm not finding much info about how secondary domain addresses work and limitations thereof.

Is "moving" a user from one domain to another as simple as changing the user account email address [update]?

Can a user possess both a secondary domain email and a primary domain email address or primary user domain alias address? Or combo thereof? It kinda looks like your user must "belong" to one of your domains (primary or secondary), but does that mean they can't have addresses from the other?

There's some reference about 11 yrs back of a GAM command called "multi move" but not finding it now in documentation.

Any other "gotchas"? I'm thinking about use cases where we have services turned on or off by OU and for users in that OU who have an address of the secondary domain. Not being able to also have an address from the primary domain is likely a blocker though for the use case.
I've read the doc here but it doesn't address above: Limitations with multiple domains - Google Workspace Admin Help

Appreciate any more info on secondary domains!

Jay Lee

Jul 1, 2022, 10:25:41 AM7/1/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
The user has a primary address and that can be in the primary ormone of the secondary domains.

Users can also have aliases in any of the primary/secondary domains regardless of where their primary address is.

This is just generally how Google Workspace works and not GAM specific behavior.

Jay

Ian Crew

Jul 1, 2022, 10:31:52 AM7/1/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
One additional thought to what Jay said: For simplicity and support and future maintenance, you might want to take a minute to think through your strategy of how you’re going to manage secondary domains. For example, for us, all of our user accounts stay in the primary domain, and any secondary domain addresses are aliases on that primary account.

Cheers,

Ian

--
Ian Crew

Solutions Architect
Productivity & Collaboration Services
Information Services and Technology

Shane Hannant

Jul 4, 2022, 10:53:38 PM7/4/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Note too, with secondary/alias domains ou have issues with DMARC and DKIM as your return-path email address is always the primary domain.

eg our primary domain is @slasmail.com and our secondary is @stlukes.qld.edu.au
So we have issues with our edu.au domain and DMARC etc
So where possible always make your primary domain the one you want the emails to send as nicely.

Think very carefully as it is possible to change your primary domain though requires a lot of work.
One of which is reprovisioing all your chromebooks as they are bound to the domain. not keen to do this for some 2000 odd devices.

Shameless plug of if your in the same situation can you give this request a vote :)

Shane Hannant • Director of ICT
p: (07) 4132 7593 • w: www.stlukes.qld.edu.au
4 Mezger Street • Bundaberg QLD 4670

Email Banner

Justin H

Jul 5, 2022, 9:34:09 AM7/5/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Thanks all for the insight, very helpful.