Populate the Alternate Email/Email Alias in Gsuite with AD Info?

JRA

Jan 20, 2022, 6:22:17 AM1/20/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Morning all,

Have a bit of an odd one. Feeling my way around a new place's Gsuite I've had PasswordSync just not work for a group of staff here. Discovered why the other day. We use both O365 AND Gmail here, and the group in question has a different email address in the mail field in AD to their Gmail address, so ofc that sync won't work being keyed to it.

I have discovered though that adding in the email address that appears in AD to the "Alternate email addresses (email alias)" in User information DOES then allow the PasswordSync to work. Question is though how to automate that.

Can GAM do it? Has anyone reading also got this and solved it?

Thanks much any/everyone for any pointers!

JRA

Jan 20, 2022, 7:15:07 AM1/20/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Just found the following:

Pretty much got me where I need!

Is there any way though to set that command running for a particular OU (either in AD or in Gmail) and add the alias as the "mail" field that appears in AD?

If not it can be as the linked thread suggests and an "overnight" thing against a .csv

Thanks all!

Thomas Cook

Jan 21, 2022, 8:25:37 AM1/21/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at GCDS.  It is made to sync AD with Workspace.  We have it set up and it runs once per hour all the time.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 7:15 AM JRA <james....@plantsbrooklearning.org.uk> wrote:

Unsubscribe

It appears that you have subscribed to commercial messages from this sender. To stop receiving such messages from this sender, please unsubscribe

--

Thomas Cook

Systems Engineer

City of Chattanooga - Department of Information Technology

423.643.6275
 office
423.421.4266 mobile

Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.
Nobody outranks Sergeant Safety except Major Negligence...

JRA

Jan 31, 2022, 11:30:01 AM1/31/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Ah ok interesting. We have GCDS but it's not running just now (disabled pending a checkup I think.)

So with this running, regardless of the email addresses being different in AD and gmail this should sync the passwords right?

Thanks much for the reply there. :)

JRA

Feb 2, 2022, 11:09:20 AM2/2/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Ok so just in case anyone else comes across this and doesn't know GCDS very well (like I didn't) this can be done from User Accounts > User Attributes and an AD attribute then assigned to be Alias.