Removing attributes using GAM

Karla Borecky

Aug 31, 2015, 9:50:56 AM8/31/15
to Google Apps Manager
Hello all,

An attribute got populated in our Google Apps directory from our identity management system that shouldn't have been populated. But I can't find the GAM syntax listed anywhere to remove an attribute. (I also searched this forum but only found the same question unanswered.)

I've been trying to guess at what it might be but obviously, this isn't very efficient. I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Karla B
Smith College

Ross Scroggs

Aug 31, 2015, 2:52:27 PM8/31/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Karla,

What attribute are you trying to clear/remove?

Ross

Karla Borecky

Aug 31, 2015, 3:10:58 PM8/31/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
The mobile phone number. I have gone down so many ratholes trying to figure this out.

I did remove it from active employees by re-migrating them in chunks (with a rule that said 'delete if populated'.)

My most recent rathole was trying to find out what our schemaKey was, so I could get a hold of how to even refer to this attribute in google land with GAM.

:-(  and O_o  and :-P

Karla Borecky
Systems Administrator
ITS
Smith College
Northampton, MA 01063

Jay Lee

Aug 31, 2015, 3:18:08 PM8/31/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Are you trying to remove all phone numbers or only the mobile one?

GAM can't currently do all, to do so we'd need to add:

phones: None

To the dict body to clear phones. Will see if we can get this in a future version. We also need to switch to update instead of patch ( which seems irreparably broken)

To clear mobile and leave others, just specify all other numbers in a gam update request.

Jay

Karla Borecky

Aug 31, 2015, 3:26:14 PM8/31/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay -

Thank you for writing!

No, just trying to clear the mobile one. I'll try it on my guinea pig account (that would be me.)

thank you!

Karla

Ross Scroggs

Sep 1, 2015, 1:08:38 AM9/1/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Karla,

You can only clear the mobile number by re-entering all of the other numbers.
The API lets you set all of the phones or clear all of them. GAM lets you set all of the phones but has no way to clear all of them; I have submitted a pull request to Jay that allows that.
What you can not do is add or remove individual phone entries, it's all or nothing.
    gam update user f...@bar.com phone type work value 888-4321 primary phone type home value 777-1234 notprimary
    gam update user f...@bar.com phone type mobile value 444-4321 notprimary
This leaves f...@bar.com with a single phone number, the mobile one.

Ross

Karla Borecky

Sep 1, 2015, 12:15:31 PM9/1/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ross -

Thank you - Jay told me this as well. This should have sunken in yesterday when I experimented on my own account, and it replaced my extension with my fake mobile number. I guess it's like an ldap replace as opposed to modify/add attribute, eh?

Thank you so much for taking time to contact me -
Karla