gamadv-x: create user with secondary email

Mick T.

Aug 20, 2019, 12:01:01 PM8/20/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi,

I'm using gamadv-x to create users, 4.90.07 recently added support to set a user's recoveryemail. Is it possible to set a user's secondary email either during user creation or by updating a user? It's implied in the docs that this can be done, but I'm not sure how to set a user's secondary email.

Thanks
Mick

P.S. Thanks Ross & Jay for your great tools.

Stefan Sloboda

Aug 20, 2019, 12:06:15 PM8/20/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Mick,

wouldn't that be an alias then or did I understood it wrong? To my understanding, an alias can't be created at the same step where you create a user account, but afterwards.

Mick T.

Aug 20, 2019, 12:55:54 PM8/20/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Stefan,

The secondary email is what's used by the Google Web Admin to send a user a password reset.

As far as I can tell, the Secondary email address is used by the Web admin to send a password reset set by the admin. The recovery email is what is used when the user has to 'recover' their account, i.e. user is locked out of their account and needs to send a password reset.

When I set the recovery email and one of my admin's does a password reset via the Google Web UI there's no option to send an email to the recovery email. So then they have to go back and look at the user's details and copy'n'paste the recovery email.

I hope that makes sense? I can add more screen shots if that will help.

Regards
--Mick

Mick T.

Aug 20, 2019, 6:09:40 PM8/20/19
to GAM for G Suite
Found the setting, GAM calls it otheremail. Here's how to use it when created a user account:

 gam create user USERNAME  firstname FNAME lastname LNAME otheremail home so...@mail.address changepassword on notify some...@email.address

If the user's name is Micky Mouse and their other email is mi...@disney.com one would enter the following. The "on notify" address does not have to be the same as the otheremail:

 gam create user mickymouse  firstname Micky lastname Mouse otheremail home mi...@disney.com changepassword on notify min...@disney.com

To set both the recoveryemail & otheremail:

 gam create user mickymouse  firstname Micky lastname Mouse recoveryemail mi...@warnerbros.com otheremail home mi...@disney.com changepassword on notify min...@disney.com

--Mick

Ross Scroggs

Aug 20, 2019, 6:20:36 PM8/20/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Mick,

You can have multiple otheremail values; there are predefined types: home, work and other; you can specify a custom type: otheremail personal mic...@gmail.com

<UserMultiAttribute> ::=

        (otheremail clear|(home|other|work|<String> <String>))|

Ross