gamcache cleanup and reuse question

Dave K.

Jan 8, 2014, 5:24:35 PM1/8/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Jay,

Are there any best practices on deleting gamcache folder contents?  My GCE instance bombed out due to zero free disk space, the culprut is the gamcache folder.
Short version, is it safe to delete all files in the gamcache folder on a monthly or bi monthly basis?

The second question, is there a way to access the cached data in a human readble format or as JSON data?

-Dk

Josef Fortier

May 7, 2014, 11:29:02 AM5/7/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I ran into the same issue, 6.8G of cache.

> second question, is there a way to access the cached data in a human readble format or as JSON data?

The files look be JSON, in fact I think they are the JSON responses to the query in the filename.

> is it safe to delete all files in the gamcache folder on a monthly or bi monthly basis?

Of course Jay will best know the answer. My initial message search doesn't show any other hits for this (maybe I missed it). In light of that, here is my stab:
The  vast bulk of my entries appear to be:

1) All user dumps
2) In chunks of 500 users (as per the status message the user dump indicates.
3) generated once a day.
4) Have a consistent count tracking (the rising) total user count.
5) Have a reasonably consistent size

This tracks with the one a day reporting dumps I'm doing. I rather suspect that only the most recent cache entries are relevant.

Most of these are in the initial 3.0 release directory (which is what i set the dump scripts up with).

JM_A50

Jan 9, 2016, 12:50:18 PM1/9/16
to Google Apps Manager
I'm having the same issue, I know this is an old thread but I haven't been able to find an answer yet.  Did you get one?

NorcaEDU

Apr 25, 2016, 4:41:01 PM4/25/16
to Google Apps Manager
I know this is old, but since someone asked again, I'll post for everyone.

I delete the cache on a periodic bases and have never had a problem with the program afterwards. After review of the contents and the knowledge that no 'CACHE' folder is created on initial installation, I determined that it is just a repository for those that want to know why something broke. It would be nice if the cache was automatically purged after 'X' days or runs.

Ullfig, Roberto Alfredo

Sep 8, 2016, 8:53:37 AM9/8/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Our gamcache is over 2 GB in size – how far back can the files be deleted? We’re deleting anything older than 7 days now.

---

Roberto Ullfig – rul...@uic.edu

ACCC Research Programmer

Samuel

Sep 9, 2016, 1:52:31 AM9/9/16
to Google Apps Manager
Hi,
in my case I often delete the folder content (for permission reasons), the cache is rebuild
or you can turn caching off by creating an empty file named nocache.txt in the same folder as gam.py.
cd <path>/gam
touch nocache.txt