How to have a common GAM installation on GCP Cloud Shell used by multiple users

Francois Le Bec

Jan 30, 2020, 9:42:23 AM1/30/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hello everyone,

I have to start working with GAM, we are using GCP so it makes sense to install it on Google Cloud Shell.
My question is the following:

More than 1 user will use GAM. So, is there any way to have a common GAM installation on Google Cloud Shell and trick it in a way that multiple users can use the same scripts, etc...
Basically, I don't want to install GAM for every single user (maybe 3-4 top) and would like to share scripts and the same GAM installation.
Thank you in advance,

François

+KimNilsson

Jan 31, 2020, 9:22:25 AM1/31/20
to GAM for G Suite
Every user should, for security and legal reasons, have their own credentials JSONs inside their own home-dir. Locked down, so you can't enter another user's home.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure you can put gam anywhere, as long as it and any scripts you want are in all users' path.

/usr/local/bin or /opt/gam or whatever, as long as you put that in their path. It's just like any other binary/script.

But, you may probably ned a real VM, like a Compute Engine, and have users SSH in (either via web-ssh or real ssh).

I wouldn't recommend just a normal cloudshell, even if you can share access.

Francois Le Bec

Feb 4, 2020, 9:48:48 AM2/4/20
to GAM for G Suite
@KimNilsson

Thank you, sorry for the late reply. I was thinking about giving access to the GAM compute instance to chosen members and make them su a dedicated user for GAM.
The fact that you stress "legal reasons" makes me think twice. I wanted to keep all scripts in one location and make them available to all users.
Thanks

Kevin Melillo ✉

Feb 4, 2020, 9:53:58 AM2/4/20
to GAM for G Suite
The scripts can all be in one place...  create a symbolic link in everyone's home directory to a directory that stores all of the scripts.
Have the script call ~/bin/gam/gam <commands>

That way the script will call the individual users GAM instance

photo
Kevin Melillo
Electronic Communications Analyst, Information Technology

Phone: 732.465.6609 | Mobile: 732-609-4331

Email: k.me...@ieee.org

445 Hoes Lane Piscataway, NJ 08854