Viewing list of deleted or orphaned calendars

Joshua K

May 21, 2014, 1:25:27 AM5/21/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I've run into a small problem with a few users wherein it seems the users can very easy to orphan calendars and its hard to find the calendar ID to get them back.

If a user creates a secondary calendar and unsubscribes from it, it still exists and may cause alert notifications or if its shared others may see it, but the owner can no longer access it unless they know the ID of the calendar, for example example.com_...@group.calendar.google.com. The problem is that the user may think unsubscribing deletes the calendar when it does not, it only "deletes" it from the user's list even if they own it.

The only way I know of to retrieve this ID is to go to the API documentation and use the Try It! feature at the bottom of the page: https://developers.google.com/google-apps/calendar/v3/reference/calendarList/list and set showDeleted to true.

Is it possible to do this with GAM? Does the "gam info calendar" command use this API and if so would it be possible to allow us to include the deleted calendars? That way we could at least get a list of calendars the user has "deleted" from their list and use that to restore it to their list, even if only in order to then permanently delete it the right way.

Or better yet is there a better way to view a list of orphaned calendars a user has rights to or owns even if they cannot see them in their list?

Maybe I'm wrong and I just don't know how this works. Does an orphaned calendar eventually become permanently deleted without our intervention?