GAM silently failing datatransfers

Tiago Jobling

Dec 18, 2019, 6:45:54 AM12/18/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi everyone,

I've noticed a strange behaviour today.

When running:

gam create datatransfer old....@company.com drive new....@company.com

I'm getting the successful message below:

Submitted request id REALLY_BIG_ID to transfer Drive and Docs from old....@company.com to new....@company.com

The actor, old.owner and new.owner will all receive an email saying the data transfer was successful (see attached file)
The thing is: the new.owner isn't getting the data to appear on their Drive.

After having a support chat with Google, we managed to get this working using the Admin Console manually (https://admin.google.com/AdminHome?hl=en#AppDetails:service=Drive+and+Docs&flyout=tools) and the transfer was instantaneous (only a couple of test files).

Please let me know what's happening and if I'm running anything the wrong way (or if it's only a matter of time) as this impacts our user exit procedure at company.

Screenshot 2019-12-18 at 11.38.24.png

Constantly Learning

Mar 13, 2020, 1:20:05 PM3/13/20
to GAM for G Suite
I know this is an old post but I have the exact same issue. I run the gam  create datatransfer command and some files get moved but some don't. When I tried a few weeks later to move the remaining files, I got another "successful" transfer with the message "Overall Transfer Status: completed" but in fact there was no transfer at all and it didn't even create a folder to receive the transferred files.

 Any ideas why this is not working via the GAM command?

I'm using GAMADV-XTD3 4.96.13.

Thanks.

Ross Scroggs

Mar 13, 2020, 1:29:59 PM3/13/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
This is  a Google issue, not a GAM issue. When you do `gam create datatransfer`, GAM calls the Data Transfer API to create the transfer.
After that, it's all on Google to perform the transfer, GAM has nothing to do with it. You need to talk to Google.

Ross

Constantly Learning

Mar 13, 2020, 1:36:18 PM3/13/20
to GAM for G Suite
Thanks, Ross. I will try the gam transfer drive command. Looking into the Google issue a bit more (not that you care about their problems), it seems like they made the transferee ownership status on the files but did not remove the original user's access to the file -- so original user's My Drive file looks full, like nothing was transferred. Anyway, I'll try the other non-Google gam transfer. Thanks.

Ken