Unable to add specific licenses

Shona McKenzie

Oct 29, 2014, 9:18:47 AM10/29/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to manage users who have left the company and can now be given a VFE license.  I'm testing out the following command but it doesn't seem to work for me.  I get prompted that I'm missing a required parameter "productId"

gam user <username> add license Google-Vault-Fromer-Employee (in case it was a typo in the developers site for the sku, I also tried Former rather than Fromer)

Any help / suggestions greatly received

Thanks

Jay Lee

Oct 29, 2014, 9:28:28 AM10/29/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
If the user already has a Vault license, you need to update the license rather than add:

gam user us...@domain.com update license vfe from vault

GAM can handle a few short abbreviations for license names. It expands:
  • "vfe" to Google-Vault-Former-Employee
  • "vault" to Google-Vault
  • "apps" or "gafb" to Google-Apps-For-Business
  • "gau" to Google-Apps-Unlimited
  • "gams" to Google-Apps-For-Postini

Jay Lee

Shona McKenzie

Oct 29, 2014, 9:45:18 AM10/29/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jay,

I'm still getting the error missing required parameter "productId"

Yes the user does already have a vault license

I'm using version 3.03 if that makes any difference

Thanks

Shona

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Shona McKenzie <shona.m...@cloudreach.co.uk> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to manage users who have left the company and can now be given a VFE license.  I'm testing out the following command but it doesn't seem to work for me.  I get prompted that I'm missing a required parameter "productId"

gam user <username> add license Google-Vault-Fromer-Employee (in case it was a typo in the developers site for the sku, I also tried Former rather than Fromer)

Any help / suggestions greatly received

Thanks

Jay Lee

Oct 29, 2014, 9:46:25 AM10/29/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it does. upgrade to 3.41

Jay Lee

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-apps-manager.

Shona McKenzie

Oct 29, 2014, 10:03:52 AM10/29/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jay,

All working now

Shona

Jay Lee

Jay Lee

Atul Sachan

Feb 11, 2015, 10:12:33 PM2/11/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shona/ Jay,

I have Google Apps unlimited domain- for example abc.com and I tried to run below command. It gives below mention error. Can you please help to understand how I can assign VFE license from a user who has Google apps unlimited license :

C:\gam>gam.exe user us...@abc.com update vfe from gau
Error 404: User does not have a license for specified sku and product - notFound

The user mentioned on the command is a Google Apps unlimited user.

Jay Lee

Feb 11, 2015, 10:14:38 PM2/11/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Try:

gam user us...@domain.com add license vfe

Jay

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-apps-manager.

Karin Swanson

Jul 24, 2015, 11:55:58 AM7/24/15
to Google Apps Manager, shona.m...@cloudreach.co.uk
Hi Jay,

I am able to assign a VFE license to an account, however, I am unable to assign a GAU (Google-Apps-Unlimited) back to an account that has VFE.  Is it possible to run a command that will assign back a GAU license?

I have tried the below with no luck:
gam user <username> add license Google-Apps-Unlimited
gam user <username> update license gau from vfe

Thanks!
Karin

Chris M

Dec 2, 2015, 8:15:24 AM12/2/15
to Google Apps Manager, shona.m...@cloudreach.co.uk
Try updating the license from vfe to vault first.
gam user <username> update license vault from vfe
In my environment that action auto-assigned an apps license as well.
In any case, it should allow you to add the gau license once you flip the switch from vfe back to vault - check the user's status with GAM or in the Admin console before taking another action...

Ari Friedman

Sep 8, 2016, 8:24:12 PM9/8/16
to Google Apps Manager, shona.m...@cloudreach.co.uk
for those who are running into this issue when converting to google apps unlimited or
if you starting with unlimited the syntax i was able to get to work is to use gam in the following way

warning note - we have autoassign of the google apps unlimited license turned on for the entire domain
if you do not have autoassign turned on i have no idea if you will lose the data within vault

to assign a vfe license use the command gam.exe user <username@domainname> add license vfe
to reassign a gau license use the command gam,exe user <username@domainname> delete license vfe

as a precautionary note - as of this moment i have not yet verified if the data that resides only in vault for a specific account is retained thru this process - i will be verifying this over the next few days and will post back with the results

Danny Dillon - NOAA Affiliate

Nov 4, 2016, 2:15:10 PM11/4/16
to GAM for G Suite, shona.m...@cloudreach.co.uk
Curious how this turned out. We have only needed to un-VFE an account once since going to Unlimited, and we just used cPanel to make the needed license change.