Copy a Drive folder with huge file tree - track progress/completion + keeps freezing?

Jonathan Ascencio

Jun 28, 2024, 10:58:06 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to GAM for Google Workspace
Hey everyone,
So I am attempting to copy over files from a drive to a shared drive but after leaving it for about 3 days with a mouse jiggler on my local machine (cloud isnt setup yet..) it just freezes at one point when overlooking success/error logs

Also to include there are multiple files that are owned by @gmail.com domain not our enterprise domain as folder owner and file owners, all mixed up - its a mess.

How do you all successfully copy large amount of files over without its breaking/freezing?
Also how do you track progress?

I need to keep file tree's intact

Ian Crew

Jun 28, 2024, 11:21:19 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Are you perhaps running into either the 400,000 file or 20 folder level limit on the shared drive? See https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/7338880?hl=en

--
Ian Crew

Architect, Communication and Collaboration Services
Productivity & Collaboration Services
Berkeley IT
University of California, Berkeley

Vishwa Dmc

Jun 28, 2024, 10:12:28 PM (4 days ago) Jun 28
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Do something guys

0561176509

Temple Rodgers

Jul 1, 2024, 3:26:25 AM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to GAM for Google Workspace
as @ian crew says - how many files + folders are you copying? 400,000 is a hard limit.
The process shouldn't have any hiccups.
Also, are you moving ("update" in GAM terminology) or copying the files? I've updated large numbers of files & folders with no problems at all. Of course, if you update the folder then the files go with it, this can save a lot of time.
Have you checked that the user that's performing has all the correct permissions? If moving from MyDrive to shared drive then the user doing the moving needs the drive & docs service privilege and Organizer access to the shared drive in order to move files.
Temple

Jonathan Ascencio

Jul 1, 2024, 8:04:51 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to GAM for Google Workspace
Ah...the limit - will need to figure out how to export those numbers to verify, that may be the case..hmm

In terms of method - its a strict copy, we need to copy things over since we cannot conduct a MOVE since certain files/folders scattered are owned by @gmail.com domain not our enterprise domain so since we are not 'owners' Google does not allow to move and for legal reasons we need these files in another location so everything needs to be retained - including folder structure/filetree