clear recoveryemail | recoveryphone field on update user

Stefan Sloboda

Aug 20, 2019, 12:02:37 PM8/20/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi there,

is it possible to clear the recoveryemail and / or recoveryphone field on the update command or similar? I played a bit with the command but once I set an email address, the update command is expecting an email address.

Ross Scroggs

Aug 20, 2019, 12:55:16 PM8/20/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Stefan,

gam update user us...@domain.com recoveryemail use...@domainx.com recoveryphone +15105551212

Ross

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 9:02 AM Stefan Sloboda <stefan....@zalando.de> wrote:
Hi there,

is it possible to clear the recoveryemail and / or recoveryphone field on the update command or similar? I played a bit with the command but once I set an email address, the update command is expecting an email address.

Stefan Sloboda

Aug 21, 2019, 3:06:09 AM8/21/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Ross,

thanks for that. But is it possible to clear that field completely, meaning having no entry there?

--
Stefan

Steve - DynTech

Aug 21, 2019, 3:05:35 PM8/21/19
to GAM for G Suite
You have a file called recovery.json, contents like

{"primaryEmail": "st...@domain.com", "recoveryEmail": ""}

Then update the user
gam update user steve json file recovery.json

You can get the data into that file this way, then remove it, the do the above command to remove
gam redirect stdout ./recovery.json info user steve recoveryemail recoveryphone formatjson nogroups nolicenses

Ross Scroggs

Aug 21, 2019, 3:16:55 PM8/21/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

With Advanced GAM 4.90.08 you can now say: gam update user us...@domain.com recoveryemail ""

Ross

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Stefan Sloboda

Dec 9, 2019, 11:10:43 AM12/9/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Ross,

thanks for that! Would you mind to implement the same for recoveryphone as well?

--
Stefan

On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 18:02:37 UTC+2, Stefan Sloboda wrote:
Hi there,

is it possible to clear the recoveryemail and / or recoveryphone field on the update command or similar? I played a bit with the command but once I set an email address, the update command is expecting an email address.

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Dec 9, 2019, 12:16:39 PM12/9/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Stefan,

This now works in GAMADV-XTD3 4.97.08.

Ross

Ross Scroggs

Stefan Sloboda

Dec 10, 2019, 11:18:18 AM12/10/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Ross,

thanks a lot for the quick reply and your efforts! I updated to the latest version, but unfortunately I receive this:

PS C:\gamadv-xtd3> .\gam.exe update user stefan.sloboda recoveryphone ""
Command: C:\gamadv-xtd3\gam.exe update user stefan.sloboda recoveryphone >>><<<
ERROR: Missing argument: Expected <String>

Do you have an idea what might be wrong here?

On Monday, 9 December 2019 18:16:39 UTC+1, Ross Scroggs wrote:
Stefan,

This now works in GAMADV-XTD3 4.97.08.

Ross

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Dec 10, 2019, 11:49:17 AM12/10/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Stefan,

Check your version:

$ gam  update user testuser1 recoveryphone ""

User: test...@rdschool.org, Updated

$ gam version

GAMADV-XTD3 4.97.08 - https://github.com/taers232c/GAMADV-XTD3

Ross Scroggs <ross.s...@gmail.com>

Python 3.8.0 64-bit final

google-api-python-client 1.7.8

httplib2 0.13.0

oauth2client 4.1.3

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 x86_64

Ross

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Stefan Sloboda

Dec 10, 2019, 11:51:35 AM12/10/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Ross,

this is the result:
Ross Scroggs <ross.s...@gmail.com>
Python 3.8.0 64-bit final
google-api-python-client 1.7.8
httplib2 0.13.0
oauth2client 4.1.3
Windows 10 10.0.16299   AMD64

To be honest I do not see if I miss something here :/

Ross Scroggs <ross....@gmail.com>

Python 3.8.0 64-bit final

google-api-python-client 1.7.8

httplib2 0.13.0

oauth2client 4.1.3

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 x86_64

Ross

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Dec 10, 2019, 12:47:06 PM12/10/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Stefan,

It works for me. Do these commands back-to-back, send me the results.
c:\GamTest>.\gam version
Ross Scroggs <ross.s...@gmail.com>
Python 3.8.0 64-bit final
google-api-python-client 1.7.8
httplib2 0.13.0
oauth2client 4.1.3
Windows 10 10.0.18362   AMD64

c:\GamTest>.\gam update user testuser1 recoveryphone ""
User: test...@rdschool.org, Updated

c:\GamTest>

Ross

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Stacy Wilson

Jan 24, 2020, 6:24:18 PM1/24/20
to GAM for G Suite
Ross,

Can you tell me what permissions are required to update the recoveryemail?  When I use gam update user us...@domain.com recoveryemail "" I get "Update Failed: Not Authorized to access this resource/api".

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 11:47:06 AM UTC-6, Ross Scroggs wrote:
Stefan,

It works for me. Do these commands back-to-back, send me the results.
c:\GamTest>.\gam version
GAMADV-XTD3 4.97.08 - https://github.com/taers232c/GAMADV-XTD3
Ross Scroggs <ross....@gmail.com>
Python 3.8.0 64-bit final
google-api-python-client 1.7.8
httplib2 0.13.0
oauth2client 4.1.3
Windows 10 10.0.18362   AMD64

c:\GamTest>.\gam update user testuser1 recoveryphone ""
User: test...@rdschool.org, Updated

c:\GamTest>

Ross

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 8:51 AM Stefan Sloboda <stefan...@zalando.de> wrote:
Hi Ross,

this is the result:

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Jan 24, 2020, 6:38:28 PM1/24/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Stacy,

What's you GAM version?

Ross

Ross,

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

Ross Scroggs

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT

This email and any documents transmitted with it may contain information that is confidential or proprietary to BancorpSouth Bank or is subject to legal privilege and is solely for the use of the individuals or entities to whom this email was addressed or intended. If you received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply email and delete the message and any attachments from your computer or other device. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email (or any portion of it) is strictly prohibited.

Stacy Wilson

Jan 27, 2020, 9:17:35 AM1/27/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
C:\GAMWork>gam version
GAMADV-XTD3 4.98.15 - https://github.com/taers232c/GAMADV-XTD3
Ross Scroggs <ross.s...@gmail.com>
Python 3.8.1 64-bit final
google-api-python-client 1.7.11
httplib2 0.16.0

oauth2client 4.1.3
Windows 10 10.0.18362   AMD64

--
Stacy Wilson
InfoSec Administrator

Samuel

Mar 13, 2020, 3:36:16 AM3/13/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hi,

when I try to clear the recoveryphone it doesn't work anymore

GAM 4.99
GAMADV-XTD3 4.99.22

gam update user us...@domain.tld recoveryphone ''

the recoveryemail is perfectly cleared

Ross Scroggs

Mar 13, 2020, 8:04:10 AM3/13/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Samuel,

This was corrected in 4.97.08, Google seems to have changed the API and broken the correction.

I'll investigate.

Ross Scroggs

Mar 13, 2020, 8:39:33 AM3/13/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Samuel,

I found the API change, fixed in GAMADV-XTD3 5.00.01.
I submitted the change to Jay,

Ross

Samuel

Ron

Nov 9, 2023, 1:30:11 PM11/9/23
to GAM for Google Workspace
Was this updated to work as expected? If so, it seems as though it might need another update. With GAMADV-XTD3 6.65.07, gam update user us...@domain.tld recoveryphone "" results in:
Command: C:\GAMADV-XTD3\gam.exe update user us...@domain.tld recoveryphone >>><<<

ERROR: Missing argument: Expected <String>

The result is the same for single and double quotes. recoveryemail still works as expected.

--
Ron

Ross Scroggs

Nov 9, 2023, 1:50:09 PM11/9/23
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Ron,

In PowerShell, if you want an empty string argument, you must enter: `"`"

Ross
----
Ross Scroggs

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GAM for Google Workspace" group.

Ron

Nov 9, 2023, 1:54:09 PM11/9/23
to GAM for Google Workspace
Yes, this was in PowerShell. Oops and thank you Ross! It's interesting that it must be escaped double quotes. I tried with escaped single quotes and got an "Update Failed: Invalid recovery phone." It's also interesting that recoveryemail works as expected without escaped quotes...

Ross Scroggs

Nov 9, 2023, 2:05:00 PM11/9/23
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Ron,

recoveryemail worked because it was the last argument on the command line as PowerShell tossed the ""; gam said there's no emailaddress following recoveryemail so I'll just clear it out.

Ross
----
Ross Scroggs