Adding POP3 accounts to collect old users mail before deleting account

Becky Jones

Mar 30, 2015, 6:24:47 AM3/30/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

At the moment, if a user leaves and we want to delete their old account, we add their account details to another nominated persons account and retrieve all of their mail history via POP3 to empty their mailbox out.
We use GAM for a number of other things but I have never seen anything which would help setup a POP3 account for this purpose.

Can anyone advise if this is possible and if so the command which would allow us to do this?

Many thanks.
Becky

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, the use of this information or any disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

The views expressed in this e-mail may not necessarily be the views of Hayley Group PLC and should not be taken as authority to carry out any instruction contained within.

Jay Lee

Mar 30, 2015, 6:29:41 AM3/30/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
There's no way to do this via the APIs and thus, it's not possible with GAM either. However, you could use GYB to backup the old accounts mail and restore it to another user.

gyb --email old...@acme.com --action backup --local-folder olduser

gyb --email new...@acme.com --action restore --local-folder olduser --label-restored olduser

Assuming your the domain admin, you may want to use service accounts to make life easier (don't need to know/reset user passwords).

Jay Lee

Becky Jones

Mar 30, 2015, 7:10:44 AM3/30/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,

Thank you for your input. I have had a go at both options, the first method as far as I can see is if we store mail locally, which we don't so I have skipped to the second suggestion.
Service accounts is the better option for us anyway as we encourage all of our users to change their passwords regularly for security.

I have got as far as downloading and installing GYB, I have activated the API and produced the pem, then authorized the API.

When running the command
C:\gyb>gyb --email olduser@domain.co.uk --service-account 79800542831 -myaccount@domain.co.uk

I get this error

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "gyb.py", line 1323, in <module>

File "gyb.py", line 575, in main

File "gyb.py", line 269, in generateXOAuthString

File "oauth2client\util.pyo", line 128, in positional_wrapper

File "apiclient\discovery.pyo", line 192, in build

File "oauth2client\util.pyo", line 128, in positional_wrapper

File "oauth2client\client.pyo", line 475, in new_request

File "oauth2client\client.pyo", line 653, in _refresh

File "oauth2client\client.pyo", line 677, in _do_refresh_request

File "oauth2client\client.pyo", line 861, in _generate_refresh_request_body

File "oauth2client\client.pyo", line 977, in _generate_assertion

File "oauth2client\crypt.pyo", line 237, in from_string
NotImplementedError: PKCS12 format is not supported by the PyCrpto library. Try
converting to a
"PEM" (openssl pkcs12 -in xxxxx.p12 -nodes -nocerts > privatekey
.pem) or using PyOpenSSL if native code is an option.

Have I done something stupidly wrong?

Thanks,
Becky